D-Link DCM 202,Comcast,and Firmware upgrade question?

Best Buy is running a sale at $49.99 on the D-Link DCM 202 cable modem during the week of September 17-23, 2006.

Comcast, my broadband provider, supports this DOCSIS 2.0 modem even though they are still only providing DOCSIS 1.1 service in the Pittsburgh/Western Pennsylvania area.

My current broadband modem is a RCA DCM226 that was purchased from the cable company when it was known as AT&T Broadband, and although it still works OK, I just feel it is time to upgrade.

On the D-Link site relating to the DCM 202 it refers and offers a firmware upgrade to users of this modem who subscribe to Comcast as their broadband carrier.

When I call D-Link they say they are prohibited from discussing the matter with me because I have not purchased the DCM 202. Calls to Comcast support can only tell me that Comcast supports the modem and they are unaware of the necessity to download additional firmware to make this modem work on their system.

My Question is: Is anyone familiar with this situation? Is there an owner of a D-Link DCM 202 who already subscribes to Comcast, who has had to download and install this additional firmware? What does this firmware do, and why a firmware upgrade for only Comcast users?

Please help. Thank you.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Lape
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.