Cox Business (or any cable provider for that matter): Possible to Interchance Upstream and Downstream?

I have Cox Business service that gets me like 7-8Mb downstream and 2Mb upstream... Because my service is primarily occupied with outbound web traffic (almost constantly saturating the 2Mb link), I'm curious if it's possible to have Cox reverse my connection to give me 2Mb down/7-8Mb up? If not, is anyone aware of small business internet connectivity in NoVA that allows web/smtp hosting and such (not port filtered like the home service) for ~$200/mo that would greatly improve my upstream? Thanks.

Reply to
artemidorus
Loading thread data ...

I'm betting that if you need more than 2mbit outbound, you should really be looking at colo. That's a LOT of outbound traffic.

Reply to
DLR

Something I don't know would be nice... I'm aware that there are other options--though most of them are far outside my stated budget. My goal here is to find out if it's possible to reverse my cable connection, and, if so, how to tell Cox to do it...

Reply to
artemidorus

No. The equipment is all designed to typical non server use to be more inbound to you than outbound from you as that's the typical traffic patterns.

Reply to
DLR

No. DOCSIS 1 (which is what nearly all cable modems are currently using) only provides about 1/4 as much upstream bandwidth as downstream bandwidth. DOCSIS 2 increases the upstream to about 3/4 the downstream, which will be a big help, but it requires the cable company to replace all of the equipment at the head end (and any modems that are to use the increased bandwidth). I haven't heard of anyone supporting it yet.

-Larry Jones

I like Mom to be impressed when I fulfill the least of my obligations.

-- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Perhaps artemidorus should be using my modem. As has already been noted, most users (I belong in this group) have a much higher downstream than up and so was I until the end of January.

Suddenly, my 'up' was much higher than my 'down' and I was warned I'd be billed for overusage.

February has been artemidorous's dream and my nightmare. Thankfully, my ISP is trying to figure out wotsup and won't be charging me.

You've referred to DOCSIS 1 and 2. Could a glitch there be causing this? If so, what's the solution? If not...any ideas?

It's not the only problem, btw - but..one at a time..Calvin would be pleased...:)

Thanks, I hope,

Kathy

Reply to
kathy

What are your actual upstream and downstream speeds?

No. DOCSIS 2 is backwards compatible with DOCSIS 1, but your cable company almost certainly doesn't have DOCSIS 2 equipment installed at the head end. The most likely explanation is that your modem is no longer limiting its upstream bandwidth the way it's supposed to and thus is using the entire upstream channel rather than sharing with other users. The upstream limit is set in a configuration file that the modem downloads from the cable company when it starts up. The most likely scenario is that the cable company got a new configuration file for your modem and neglected to set the upstream bandwith limit before making it available.

-Larry Jones

Who, ME? Who?! Me?? WHO... Me?! Who, me??? -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Thank you... very informative... so I guess it's best to sit back and wait for DOCSIS 2... Oh well... :o)

Reply to
artemidorus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.