Connection Problems Cat5 vs. Cat6

I was having serious connectivity issues with RoadRunner for quite some time. I was blaming them for the problems I was having. I would sometimes bootup and find that I was not connected to the Internet(could not open any website, could not ping, just a dead connection). I would have to reboot to get connected(sometimes several times). I swap out modems and cables(Cat 5) with RoadRunner but that was no help. I had techs come out and they ran some new wires(even though they found nothing wrong) and that did not correct the problem either. Of course when they were here there was no connection problems. I ran diagnostics on my onboard LAN( Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet) everything passed. I reset winsock several times also. I would search the web(when I could get connected) for connection problems info. This has been going on for months. Then about four days ago I was reading about Cat 5 cable versus Cat5e and Cat6. It talked about several problems with Cat5 cable. One of the problems was NEXT(near end cross talk) corrupting signals because of inadequate shielding so I bought a Cat6 cable and I have had no problems since. I know it's only been three to four days but my connection problems were daily. Also my connection speed seems to be faster than with the Cat5 cable. I thought I'd just throw this info out there in case anyone else could benefit from this. Sorry for the long post but if this helps... Greg T

Reply to
Greg T
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.