connecting to cable modem directly

hey guys... I'm having trouble with my network right now... im getting unstable connection... the thing is tho... i cant figure out which one is messing up... my cable modem or my router ??? i dunno which company should i call.. comcast or netgear (router) ?? when my computers are connected to my router my connection drops repeatedly... so right now my blame is on my router... but i also want to try to connect and observe one of my computers directly to my cable modem at least one night. Now heres my question... how come i cant connect one of my computers directly to my cable modem... d cable modem is plugged in... and also cable (tv)... and d cat5 cable to my computer is also plugged in... after all those r done... lights n my cable modem is different .... only d first 2 green lights are on (2/3) and only one of the 2 blinking orange light is blinking... :( therefore the computer that i tried to connect directly to my cable modem wont connect to internet... i jes set it bak to my router again..

help pls... how do i get to connect my computer directly to my cable modem without using a router??

thnx in advance

Reply to
franciz3
Loading thread data ...

Are you powering them both down then after connected, power the modem up and let it sync? Then power the computer up. It should work then.

Reply to
Dave

It will be necessary to recycle both the cable modem, first, and then reboot the computer to correctly reestablish the connection and IP.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Or after connecting the wires you could just reset the computer. The problem is your modem is sending the info to a router that is responding in a different way than your computer now is. You need to break the modem to router connection and establish a modem to computer connection. Also your IP address will be different when connecting thru a router from connecting direct to the modem. Also remember that you will have NO firewall without the router in place! I have seen articles where a computer can be comprimised within

3 minutes when no firewall is active! A router firewall is not perfect but IS better than nothing!
Reply to
f/fgeorge

yes i did the power cycle thing.... but the lights in my cable modem is still weird....

- turned off my pc

- turned off cable modem

- wait couple of mins.

- turn the cable modem bak on (comp still off)... still only 2 out of 3 green lights are on... after waiting for it to "load"

- tried turning my comp on... no internet...

^ das wat i did

Reply to
franciz3

For modem and router, recycle, as in power cycle, for the computer, a reboot will suffice.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

"Recycle?" :-) Remember that restart and reset are NOT the same as power cycle when you are talking about modems and routers and computers.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

When you reboot not all of the POST code is run as it is when you power cycle.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Each brand of modem has a slightly different configuration of lights, however I'm not recalling any that are online with two (steady?) green lights, and nothing else.

What kind of modem is it? Are the two green lights both steady, or is one or both flashing or flickering? What patterns did the lights show as it was attempting to sync-up? What other configuration of the lights have you seen?

The two things that I'm thinking of are either the modem isn't sync-ing up, and the lights you see when it stabilizes is what shows between attempts to sync up. Or possibly a light isn't lighting because you have a bad cable, so any indicator may think the bad cable isn't there at all.

I'm leaning toward the idea that the light pattern you're seeing is what your modem does between failed attempts to sync-up. If that's the case, you'll need to contact your provider.

Reply to
Warren

Especially if it's been raining in your area. Tighten all your cables then call your ISP as Warren says.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

That depends on how the CPU reset is done. Most modern systems don't ever really shut down power, unless the plug is completely pulled from the power source. In the case of reinitializing the TCPIP software, however, I have never had to actually power cycle the computer.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Try turning off the modem for at least 10 minutes, then try again. If that still doesn't make it look normal, get a new modem...

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.