Connecting 2 Linksys Routers

Hi I have 2 linksys routers. A BEFVP41 v2 (wired) and a WRT54G (wireless). The Wireless router is connected to the cable modem. Here's my setup.

Wireless Router WAN: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (internet) LAN: 192.168.1.1 / 24 DHCP: off (I am using static IP's) DMZ: 192.168.1.2 (i.e. the wired router)

Wired Router WAN: 192.168.1.2 LAN: 192.168.5.1 / 24 DHCP: off (I am using static IP's).

Port 1 from wireless router connects into WAN port onto wired router.

The problem is that computers on the wired router can see those on the wireless router, but those on the wireless router can't see computers on the wired router

Wired Router --> Wireless Router OK. Wireless Router --> Wired Router Doesn't work.

The catch is that the physical setup (i.e. the port 1 from wireless going to WAN on wired router) must be kept. The reason for this is that the wired router is a VPN router and has some VPN tunnels it must maintain. The DMZ on the wireless router points to the wired router. The Wireless router must be the router connected directly to the internet since I need the QoS it supports for a VoIP phone.

I've tried to setup static routing on the wireless network but that didn't work. Here's the Static routing that I tried. Destination Lan IP: 192.168.5.0 (i.e the wired rotuer's subnet) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (the wired routers WAN address) Interface: LAN & Wireless

Sorry if this is so confusing, but any help would greatly appreciated. If you have any more questions pertaining to my network setup please ask.

Thanks.

Reply to
Giffy
Loading thread data ...

There's a procedure on the Linksys web site for daisychaining two Linksys routers. Have you checked it out?

Reply to
Dave

This is your problem. By using the WAN port, you're creating a second network -- that's how a router works. In fact, the best way to isolate computers connected to the wired router IS to connect the WAN port on the wired router to a regular port on the wireless router.

See my wireless networking page at:

formatting link
To provide connectivity between computers connecting to the wired and wireless networks, you have to connect between the two routers using regular ports, not a wan port.

To provide isolation, you use the wan port when connecting the two. Be careful -- if you connect the wireless router's wan port to a regular port on the wired router, the wireless computers will be able to see the wired computers. If you're going to use wireless, isolating the wireless computers from the wired ones is an excellent security decisiion.

Terry Visit my computer tips, coffee pages and forums at

formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your detailed response. Before I go on I just want to clairify how my network is setup.

Wireless Router: 192.168.1.1/24 WAN: to cable modem Port 1: to VoIP (QoS high on this port) Port 2: to Wired Router. (Set this to the DMZ so VPN tunneling will work) Port 3/4: empty

Wired Router: 192.168.5.1/24 WAN: From Wireless Router port 2 Port 1to4: Computers.

Now I need to connect the wired router to the wireless router via the wired router's WAN since it's a VPN router. It's the only way the VPN tunnels willl work. What aport static routing?

Reply to
Giffy

Giffy, I don't think you can get there. Restating your needs:

1) Wireless must be connected to cable modem for VOIP 2) Wired must be DMZ so computers behind it can VPN 3) and you want to have computers connected to both routers able to see each other.

Now, what does a router do? It segregates networks, at least if you have it set on the normal "gateway" setting for home Linksys routers. Whether you use static IP addresses or dynamic IP addresses, the computers on one side of the router won't be able to see the other.

However, the Linksys router also has an alternate function under the "Advanced" menu, at least in some models. You get to choose between "gateway" mode and "router" mode. Router mode is for "smart" working with other routers.

First, let me say I haven't tried this, but it might work and may solve your problem - please let me know eithr way. Read the manual, especially the "dynamic routing" section -- notice that you only use it for connecting one network to another -- don't set the wireless router to "router", it needs to be "gateway" or it won't talk to the Internet (it will be looking for another local network router to talk to).

Set the wireless router to give DHCP addresses. Then, set the wired router to "router" function instead of "gateway". Turn on "Dynamic Routing path on both modems. THEN, turn off the wired router's DHCP server. Depending on your PC's OS, you may need to reboot now.

This is the point where it all comes together, or doesn't. if it doesn't, you will probably have to use the reset button on the wired router to turn its DHCP server back on.

Again, this may not work, but it's the only way I see that might address both your VOIP and VPN needs -- and, hopefully, this doesn't choke the VOIP.

Terry Visit my computer tips, coffee pages, forums and more at:

formatting link

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.