Config page of Comcast Modem

Can someone tell me the IP to reach the config pages of a Comcast modem? I'm sorry, I don't know the model number. Perhaps if you just tell me what works on yours I can try it. I thought it was 192.168.1.1 but cannot get a response at that address.

The plan is to insert a Linksys wireless/wired router after the Comcast modem to provide service to one wired and one wireless computer. I'm not having much success. I suspect that possibly the Linksys is using the same default private IP (external inface) as the Comcast modem, but I can't tell for sure becuase I cannot get into the Comcast. I have no problem getting into the Linksys config at 192.168.1.1.

I've only worked on one other Comcast modem, and I think I remember it using

192.168.1.1 as the config IP. I think it assigned a private IP to the hosts as well, but I can't remember for sure.

This particular Comcast modem has assigned a public IP (via DHCP) to the current single UTP connected computer. That works fine. What I want is to have it assign that same IP to the Linksys outside interface and then let the Linksys assign internal private IPs.

Any help on config is appreciated. Hopefully I do not have to use the PPoE feature of the Linksys. I'm hoping to continue to allow the Comcast modem to do all of that, as it is now.

I'm experienced in networking but I have never set up a network off of a Comcast device. The owner has no documentation (of course!).

Thanks,

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster
Loading thread data ...

It's probably 192.168.100.1, but see below.

You don't need to access the modem configuration page to do this. Try

1. Remove power from both the modem and router.
  2. Connect the router to the modem.
  3. After the power has been off for 15-30 seconds, power up the modem and wait for it to establish sync.
  4. Power up the router and configure it through its (the router's) configuration page.

I've been using a configuration like this for several years.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Thank you Tom... I will try the above as soon as my client returns from his vacation in Mexico (Damn! Wish I was there! :) ). Although, I went through plenty of release/renew cycles. But the powering on in sequence idea might work better.

Can you tell me if the Comcast modem normally assigns a public IP to its hosts? I wasn't sure if this was the default (normal) config or if by chance there was something different about this installation. Again, thanks!

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Comcast policies are not uniform across the US, but it is generally the public IP address is associated with the MAC address last recognized by the modem. The power down/up sequence is necessary for the modem to "forget" the currently registered MAC address and latch onto a new one. Some regions may still register the computer's MAC address in their database and that requires a phone call to change computers/routers.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Thank you very much! You have been very helpful! I'm certain (now) I can get this going quickly when my client returns. Apprecaite it. (this was the type of info I was thinking I'd get from the modem config... if I could have gotten into it :) LOL!

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

My Comcast modem info is found at http://192.168.100.1/ mady

Reply to
mady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.