Comcast with DLink Cable Modem - drops

I recently moved a few miles and had my Comcast cable internet activated at the new address. Never a problem before, but about once a day now the cable modem status light starts blinking - and of course there is no internet connectivity.

No amount of configuration, renew / release or power resets of my router or of the cable modem will fix it. However, disconnecting the RG 6 TV/Internet cable from the cable modem for a few seconds then screwing it back on fixes things. Sometimes it is out for about an hour and fixes itself (based on my automated ping testing from dslreports.com and the nice graph they provide)

What could this be ? Cable modem reports -12dbm incoming signal level, within spec I believe... Comcast support has been just too clueless to deal with.

Reply to
Nuanced
Loading thread data ...

What's your outgoing strength?

I have an RCA modem, and although the incoming was very strong (-5 to

-2), outgoing was a bit weak (48-50). It sometimes had trouble connecting, and even if I left it on, it would disconnect every once in awhile. When trying to connect, it sticks at 2 lights flashing, which means it's trying to establish the uplink. I ended up rearranging the cabling so it's only going through 1 splitter instead of 2. I now have +

2 to +5 down, and down varies between 43 to 48. I don't leave it on all the time, but it now connects every time.

When my parents got Comcast, they bought a D-Link. That stays on all the time with so-so numbers (about -10 to -12 down, 45-48 up) and I haven't heard any complaints yet.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

maybe that's it

-12 dbmV down, 50 dbmV up

to the basement for me to check how many splitters are in the loop

Reply to
Nuanced

Upstream uses low frequences below channel 2. Make certain ALL splitters have frequency ratings on them, and that they start at 5. If you have any unrated, or start at 40 or 54, replace them.

Generally, any splitters used with cable modems or any cable box that talks back (most digital boxes) should be rated at a minimum of 5-

900MHz, and ideally 5-1000MHz (1G) or higher. Also, use RG6 or RG6QS cable whenever possible.
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.