Comcast WinMX Bandwidth gone ... where did it go and how do I get it back?

Hi Group, Interesting dilemma ... I have blazing fast Comcast download speed shown by DSL reports.

Up until about three months ago I got download WinMx bandwidth between

200,000 B/s and 100,000 B/s. I could download 20 songs simultaneously.

Now my bandwidth averages less then 20,000 but spikes up to 200,000 for as long as an hour and then settles back down to 20.000 to 30,000 where I am lucky if I can get 1 or 2 downloads going. Feels like I have gone from high speed to dial up for downloads!

I limit upload bandwidth to 30,000 B/s. My allocated bandwidth is 15 KB/s out 22.5 KB/s in. I have had 2 Comcast service techs come out after I tried three different Linksys routers and three different computers .. all with the same result. The first techie didn't have a clue .. said he was going to have a supervisor call me and they never did. The second tech came out and said:

From Comcast tech

OK ive spoken to management and i got ahold of this lady in our headend, had her runs some tests within our system she claims that everything checks out but i wasnt satisfied with that so i spoke to some techies within our company and they gave me a url to download from thats within our system, its a server thats within our ring with a

40meg download. so i went with my lap top to varius places with in our system including your corner of Dublin and i was able to download at a rate of about a min and half or so to download that huge file. so the conclusion ive come to is theres got to be a server thats just outside of our system thats losing the bandwidth as you venture into the world wide web. The downside to this is its not within our system so as a company comcast wont track it down uless its within our system. Like for example if someone in your neighberhood was breaking our service agreement and was running a public server with thousands of hits a day then it would effect your node but sucking up all the bandwidth. But with extensive tests thats not happening. If i could paint a picture of our system its like almost a circle and there is one main junction that connects our system to the world and if that first stop (server) on the www is losing bandwidth then it would effect you and many others there for causing a wide spread mass of service calls but thats not happening either. sry to say with all my extensive research and pushing to all sorts of departments myself and many , many others have not found any loss in our ring of the system. My supervisor told me if you wanted to you could try out other types of connections to the internet but he feels you would still be having the bandwidth loss meaning that some company outside of the Tri Valley (server) is screwing up the bandwidth on the internet.

Wish i could do more but ive hit a dead end my friend (which means Comcast won't help)

Virus scans, spy ware scans, ad aware scans and port scans show no problem. I can find no background programs sucking bandwidth ... any ideas?

Anyone else having this problem??? Please email response to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
drscottlv
Loading thread data ...

I was having a problem like this a while back. However my downloads weren't going up high and then coming back down they just weren't going stong for months and then didn't work at all. I'm hoping with all the knowlegde it seems you have that you do infact have port forwarding enabled through your router for both the TCP and UDP ports and are making a primary connection to the network? Another question, are you sharing any files for upload? Some people out there have apps that can check to see if you're sharing anything or not berfore they allow you to download from them. What error messages is WinMX throwing up at the user level in your transfers screen?

Reply to
ringfinger

Many ISPs are starting to throttle the bandwdith used by common P2P programs, they do this by limiting the bandwidth on certain port numbers (ie. the default port numbers used by P2P programs).

The solution is to change the default ports. Pick a random number between

49152 - 65535 for the port number (this range is reserved for dynamic and private ports).

Reply to
Crackhead

Hi ringfinder Yes I have port forwarding through my router .. if I didn't I don't think I woukd get any bandwidth .. and yes, I am sharing over 750 files.

I just noticed that each download has a plus next to it and when I click > I was having a problem like this a while back. However my downloads

Reply to
drscottlv

The Port numbers you are referring to .. are they TCP and UDP? Both? DrScott

Reply to
drscottlv

Both, depends on what WinMX uses (or whatever P2P application requires).

Google says WinMX uses TCP 6699 and UDP 6257, so you should change both of those.

Some screenshots:

formatting link

Reply to
Crackhead

Yes it will get trickier in the future if ISP decide to block based on content.

Fortunately, P2P developers are already well ahead of the ISPs in this matter (actually, the Instant Messaging programs are the masters here, they already use all kinds of tricks to bypass firewalls and content filtering systems).

Or maybe they'll realize they can't win and start using P2P friendly server technology like PeerCache (which is already in Azureus and no doubt will be supported by others)

formatting link

Reply to
Crackhead

There is equipment that detects P2P traffic regardless of which port it's on. If the OP's ISP uses that kind of equipment, then things get trickier because simply changing to a higher port won't help..

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.