Comcast Upload Speeds

If your Toshiba is not docsis 2 compatable, it does not say on the Toshiba website, other than 'supports all doscis speeds', than you could need a new modem. Docsis 2 is the newest, or was last time I checked and the one I first bought from Comcast did not comply and was always dropping signals etc. Renting from Comcast now lets me call them when they upgrade their system. More money now but less expensive in the very long run.

Reply to
f/fgeorge
Loading thread data ...

I wrote the corporate stance because I felt it was needed. Yes Comcast could provide us all with 20/10 if they wished. They could even go much further than that, but they don't have to. The OP has no option of Verizon or any other reasonably priced provider. Comcast will not give away what they can charge for. Neither would you if you had a business that was trying to stay in business. Sure all businesses give away a taste of their products as promotions, but none give it away everyday, all the time for free. They would not be in bussiness long if they did. Money is to be made when it can be made. The bad thing is when they then rip people off by over-charging! Oh and I pay $85.00 a month just for my internet from Comcast! My total Comcast bill, internet and tv, no phone, is over $150.00 a month! I have business level internet with my own static IP address. Mine is NOT free either!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I know - I just found that link and thought I'd share in this thread since it was related.

Reply to
$Bill

Japan also has a much higher population density than the US, which greatly reduces their costs. Lack of competition has kept rates here higher than they could be, but not wildly so. None of the cable companies are making windfall profits on their internet service.

-Larry Jones

I don't NEED to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

I consider this OP's description as Comcast overcharging. ;)

Well, you can't compare business service (or whatever yours is called) with basic home service. 5/.5 should be the absolute minimum for base cable access. I pay $94.22 for mine (TW 6/.5) with basic TV - that includes modem (used to be $3 when it was Adelphia).

The rest of this is off subject:

Other countries are doing a lot better than we are in getting their people reasonable/fast internet access.

I've been getting AT&T ads in the mail offering AT&T U-verse (Yahoo! HS) for $84/mo (shows $74 online) for 200 channels and a slower internet speed (I think you can pay for faster access). 100 channels only $59/mo. (only

1 receiver and no DVR).

Supposedly, you also get a 4 tuner DVR and 3 HD ready receivers and wireless home networking support + professional installation with 200 ch and up.

Reply to
$Bill

The difference is that when a home account goes down they will fix it, eventually. A business level account is required to be fixed within 24 hours, even if located in a home.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

that's where verizon FIOS comes in, which will, thank god, kill comcast.

Reply to
eol

Ahhh, but Comcast has already sent me a notice of their intent to increase my speeds to keep me. The marketing begins, no details, just a small, very small, flyer.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

AT&T U-verse too, but they don't compete speed-wise without an $35? upgrade.

Nothing could be better for us users than a nice little price war. :)

Reply to
$Bill

AGREED!!! I sure hope it happens!! Comcast has been waaay to arrogant for waaay to long! My neighbor, across the street and on a different loop than me, had a problem with his Comcast internet and tv. The outside people came out and said the problem is inside the house. The inside people came over and said no it is on the outside. This went back and forth between the different groups for more than two weeks. It even included people that would show up in a truck and never get out of the truck and then report that it was all fixed. After recording this a time or two and showing the local County Council rep, things got fixed. When Comcast has a problem the right hand never talks to the left hand! Turns out he had a signal booster because he had low signal strength in the past. Turns out NEW installation, which is totally different from Service, had come down the street and replaced a bad section of the cable which was then causing an over-boosting of his signal. His problem was BOTH inside AND outside! When the Council rep showed up with BOTH the inside AND outside people, Comcast diagnosed and fixed the problem.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Oh my.....did Comcast actually send you a letter telling you they will raise speeds at no increase in price?

How incredibly familiar that sounds.

What did they say? Did they tell you how long they'd keep the new speed before quietly denying they'd ever done it?

DO NOT THROW AWAY THAT LETTER.

Reply to
exray

Since they can change their service offering at any time and your choice is to take it or leave it, it seems that keeping a letter is a waste of time.

Reply to
Bill M.

No no details, just the promise of more details to come.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Yes, but that would be very bad for Comcast and Verizon; so it won't happen. True competition requires more than two players. Look up the word "duopoly..."

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Well, there are more players arriving stage left. AT&T U-verse has been pounding my mailbox with $85 TV/Internet offers. For an extra $5 you can increase the internet speed to something reasonable and another $10-15? will get you even closer to what most of us have.

I think things will come down a bit or they'll start throwing in extras.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.