comcast tech support idiocy

Bob, you don't know what you are talking about. The SB4100 I was using worked fine for a couple of years with several different routers. It only stopped working after a lighting storm. You may be slightly correct in thinking that the NICs in my PCs are better at handling poor signal levels while the routers could not. However, I *am* blaming the correct source of the problem, as the cable modem was the only thing that changed such that it no longer performed as well as before.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright
Loading thread data ...

No, I swapped cables before changing other equipment. All cables gave identical results.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright

Of course I did call Comcast and had them provision the new modem, and indeed mentioned this below.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright

I prefer to let my cable modem be part of Comcast's network rather than part of my network. That way THEY can support it, not me. BTW, it's a SB3100 but I wouldn't call it obsolete. It works fine.

Reply to
Bill M.

Glad you narrowed it down to the modem. But this is not really tech support idiocy on the part of Comcast. After all they claim no responsibility for any devices you have connected. Fortunately they are willing to at least troubleshoot with a PC with a few flavors of Windoze. As you see there is a flaw with this method if the cable modem still works with a single PC.

Whenever you are troubleshooting across the support boundary it is up to you to prove where the problem lies. Otherwise the 'free' tech support people at any company _do nothing_.

Maybe the local cable office will be more willing to exchange the defective modem. They certainly do with the set top boxes.

Reply to
Basic Bob

Sounds like your problem was caused by lightning induced surges, not by Comcast's "idiocy." Ethernet ports are usually the first thing to be damaged when lightning hits.

In your case, it sounds like one was damaged enough prevent it from working under some conditions. You actions and reports make me suspect the Ethernet port on the modem was damaged enough to prevent it from talking to the router. You replaced the port (with a new modem), and the problem went away... so that points the finger at the old modem. If you tried hard enough, you probably could have found a PC NIC card that wouldn't work with the old modem either.

Comcast tech support "idiocy" or divine intervention? You decide.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Uhm...your experiment doesn't show that the modem was broken. You would need to swap routers in order to have a chance at showing that. Your experiment is consistent with the router being bad.

You need to get your basic experimental technique straightened out before you go around calling others "moron".

Reply to
Tim Smith

Disregard this. I missed that you did have more than one router to test.

Reply to
Tim Smith

same with my comcast each day or two gave yahoo groups a not are customer err massager I'm on like 550 yahoo groups comcast says its yahoo trouble safe male

Reply to
safe_male

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.