Comcast splitter question

I did it that way, with a VCR/DVD player in between to boot. It works fine, and the tuner card works the same way as a regular TV would with respect to the computer (ie; set the tuner card to channel 3). That way, I can record to the VCR and do a halfway job of editing later in the play mode, before it gets to the computer (playing from the VCR into the TV tuner). It makes for less space on the hard drive. It all depends on what you're going to do with it later, and how much video quality you require. I didn't notice any loss of connection speed with the cable modem with everything else running, either.

Reply to
roguejag
Loading thread data ...

I did it that way, with a VCR/DVD player in between to boot. It works fine, and the tuner card works the same way as a regular TV would with respect to the computer (ie; set the tuner card to channel 3). That way, I can record to the VCR and do a halfway job of editing later in the play mode, before it gets to the computer (playing from the VCR into the TV tuner). It makes for less space on the hard drive. It all depends on what you're going to do with it later, and how much video quality you require. I didn't notice any loss of connection speed with the cable modem with everything else running, either.

Reply to
roguejag

I assume you already have a splitter in there to split the modem from your TV. If possible, use the TV leg to add your tuner card to rather than the modem leg. If you have a two-way splitter currently, you could replace it with a 4-way and that should handle things for you. If your splitter already has a spare leg, use that.

Maybe you should have posted a picture of your current setup for better help.

Reply to
$Bill

Have you used the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 yet? I've been reading about it and it sounds pretty good. Plus I see it for $69 (after $30 rebate) at Circuit City. I'm thinking about trying it.

Reply to
Dave

I just bought a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150. I am going to be having a new system built to put it into. Here's my question:

My cable modem is fed from a different outlet than my TV. In other words, the cable goes directly from the wall to the modem. I would like to use a splitter at the wall to have one cable go to my modem, the other to the tuner card. Is this going to present any issues?

My plan is to record TV show then burn them on DVD to play in my home player. I have already researched what DVD formats my home player can handle.

BTW, I do pay for internet access and extended basic. :-)

Reply to
Dan

You can use a splitter, but remember that this basically cuts your signal strength in half for each leg off the splitter. This may reduce the signal below usable strength for the cable modem.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

That's where I bought mine today. I have not used it yet since I was waiting to purchase my new system first. I did not want to waste any time buying it since I have noticed that every Web site that sells this card below MSRP is sold out. I am excited to get my new system built now. :-)

The customer reviews at CC's site are overwhelmingly positive. You can also find out a lot of info about it at

formatting link

Reply to
Dan

Reply to
Anymous

No, provided you can maintain proper signal levels to the modem. In my condo, the cable company placed a splitter on my cable. One side of the splitter goes to the TV and the other side, goes to my computer room, where there's another splitter, going to my modem and another unused connector, for TV. It was also installed by the cable company. Also, there are red tags on the cables leading to the modem.

Reply to
James Knott

I bought the WinTV-PVR-150 at Circuit City yesterday. It installed easily and all seems to be working with no problems. I'm pretty pleased with it especially for the price. Maybe the only think that's a little weak is the included software. I may do some research into other software products such as SageTV, BeyondTV etc. I'm told they're compatible.

Reply to
Dave

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "Dave" on Tue,

1 Feb 2005 11:40:55 -0500 spoke:

Definitely check Sage, I've heard only good things about them.

I'm seriously considering dumping my All-in-Wonder for something that will work with Sage.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

This is my first Hauppauge product and I have to say I'm impressed so far. The remote control works well and lets you do almost everything with it. The scheduler works good using TitanTV. But some of the reviews of SageTV and BeyondTV make them sound better than the standard software.

Reply to
Dave

I ordered the PC last night. I remembered that we have a 13" TV in the spare room, so I went down to the Comcast service center and picked up some coax and a splitter-no charge. I hooked the TV and cable modem to the splinter and everything worked fine. I can't wait to get my new PC now.

Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Dan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.