Comcast Speed Tests

Someone posted this a while ago ...

formatting link

I don't think it's any better, or more, or less accurate than ...

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
riggor9999
Loading thread data ...

speedtest.comcast.net does have the advantage of sitting inside the Comcast network, however, removing some variables from the test. That can be very useful when you're trying to isolate the source of a problem. The external tests may be a better gauge of the real user experience, though.

Reply to
R. Lynn Rardin

I don't put much stock in those speed test sites. They generally give "OK" results, but just try and download something. That's how you can really tell, and that's when Comcast's "throttles" kick in. I'm supposed to be getting 4Mb/sec speeds, but lately, downloading ANYthing feels like I'm back on dial-up.

Reply to
sqbx

I might be wrong but I believe you should at least be getting 6Mb d/l unless it hasn't happened in your area for some reason...where are you located?

What are you seeing with the speed tests?

Reply to
Pegleg

On the Comcast site I see 20 down and 9 up.

Everywhere else I see about 12 down and 6 up.

Reply to
Betts

And the up & down is still determined by the "server". Doesn't matter if Comcast allows 50 mpbs & the server providing the download is only allowing 256 kbps or so. Some files I get 750+ KBps & some others, only 100 KBps depending where & what time of day & how many people is trying to get something from the same place even if I only have a 6 mbps setup.

Reply to
just me

.........lots skipped..........

My own followup but decided to check the speed for file xfer.

Recalled G. Lucas had a ftp site with a few files for download; just got a 10.3 meg file; ncftp says 9.9 MB @ 1.96 MB/s...

Looks like lucasarts still has high connects to the internet since the 1.96 MB/s xlates to about 15+ Mbps (1.96 x 8); will need to check again as either I'm getting the new upgraded 12 mbps plus booster or booster works for a 10 meg file; could be the time of day as well, but I'm a happy camper since the capability is there if the remote server allows it.

Reply to
just me

ATT Uverse is making a big push in my area. I wasn't too impressed at their prices for internet so I thought I would test my speeds on Comcast. Here are the results..........

formatting link
Down, 2.34 Up
formatting link
Down, 1.37 Up
formatting link
Down, 2.3 Up
formatting link
Down, 2.38 Up

Reply to
NC

I'd be happy if I had that kind of up speed (I have roadrunner standard service):

5806 Kbps down, 478 Kbps up.

Modem is clocked at 6144 Kbps down, 512 Kbps up. Makes it hard to share files with this low an up speed.

Reply to
$Bill

Here (Silicon Valley) at 7:45pm Friday night:

19.247 Mbps down, 3.132 Mbps up

I "lost" my Sprint Broadband service on July 31, 2008, due to FCC reallocation of the frequencies, so sought any replacement other than DSL. I found this: with a Google search; $19.95/month, free Motorola SB5101 DOCSYS 2.0 modem, and over $200 in rebates. The $19.95/month is for the first 6 months. The rebates were paid very quickly.

Checking just now, the offer is again repeated at $19.99/month, offer expires November 30, 2008.

Reply to
Thad Floryan

that's no lie. i had blast 16 megabits down, until i used it with giganews for about a month. those gems at comcast are throttling my speeds to about 1/4 of what they were at giganews. how can one monolithic company suck so much? with the money they are pulling in, why are they so freaking stingy with bandwidth.

Reply to
Fosco_Bleecker-Baggins

caran had written this in response to

formatting link
: I got here using a searcher, i been having problems with my wifi for several days and its getting worst every day. I think everytime i do a [url=
formatting link
test[/url] my speed decreases. may it be possible? i tried opening some ports as a friend told me, can somebody help me?

Reply to
caran

You have some _very dangerous_ friends.

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

With friends like that - who needs enemies?

Do not open ports unless you have a specific need to do so.

Reply to
Rick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.