Comcast self-install kit - do I need to buy it?

I recently purchased the Comcast service through Best Buy and wanted to know if I need to treck to the store to buy the self-install kit. They offer a full cost rebate but the store is inconvenient to reach. I believe that the self-install kit only has a cable a phone number to call to activate my modem and a CD with extra software.

I haven't been issued a user id but I assume that happens over the phone or the first time I connect.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

In article , Chris wrote: :I recently purchased the Comcast service through Best Buy and wanted :to know if I need to treck to the store to buy the self-install kit. :They offer a full cost rebate but the store is inconvenient to reach. :I believe that the self-install kit only has a cable a phone number to :call to activate my modem and a CD with extra software. : :I haven't been issued a user id but I assume that happens over the :phone or the first time I connect. : :Any assistance is appreciated.

There's nothing essential in that kit. When you first try to make an HTTP connection you should get redirected to a setup server that will handle the modem provisioning and the account setup. If that redirect doesn't happen, then you'll need to call Comcast to get the magical proxy settings to put into your browser. The support person only knows about Internet Explorer and will give you instructions like, "Double click on 'XX', click on 'YY' and type in 'ZZZZZZ'." If you're not using IE you'll have to figure out what that's supposed to accomplish and how to do it in your browser.

I did have to have a technician come out to remove the filter that was blocking the uplink channel on my cable drop. That was the only real problem I encountered. No kit, no IE, not running Windows at all.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Chris) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

This may help. It's how I got on line the first time.

formatting link
Good luck, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Thank you for the posts. The Comcast support over the phone walked me through it and it works. They had me point to their proxy service authentication and they had to straighten out my order before the authentication would be accepted. The tech on the phone appeared to know exactly what needed to be done.

Reply to
Chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.