Comcast: new hookup: refusal to support purchased MODEM

Oh, it certainly is possible. Read the body text. Respond to the body text.

The subject line is not part of the message. It is only a way of cataloging the message, and a way to keep the continuity of the thread. If the subject line doesn't seem to match what's being discussed in the body text, you can then go back and see how the discussion evolved into what it has.

Would it make sense to update the subject line? Occasionally. But then readers that use the subject line text instead of the index numbers and references to thread messages wouldn't necessarily be able to follow the evolution of a thread.

The bottom line is that if you are going to reply to a message, read the text of the message, and reply to the text of the message. It's actually pretty simple. And then you don't need to worry at all about how the original subject line relates to where the discussion currently is.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

I don't necessarily agree with that - there's precedence for altering the subject line when the discussion varies from the orig subject matter. I don't see any problem with it and when you un-collapse a thread it becomes obvious where the thread is headed.

Ain't that the truth - the new generation of posters are plain lazy.

Reply to
$Bill

1) You're not supposed to change the title. If you want a new thread, start a new thread 2) If no one trimmed the replies, the messages would become increasingly longer and more difficult to follow.
Reply to
James Knott

Perhaps...but it would make more sense to update the subject tile as the subject evolves! Oh and since you, or someone, trimmed the other messages it is impossible for me to know that the subject has evolved into something other than what the subject line says!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

I am the OP. I just want to make it clear that my MODEM supports DOCSIS

2.0, and that COMCAST support agreed that they support my MDDEM. However, instead of removing the block on the http port, they just tell me to wait three days for something that never happens and try again.

The OS shouldn't make any difference, but COMCAST demands that we run a windows program to install (unneeded) COMCAST drivers for our MODEM. Something doesn't add up here.

I set up a windows machine special so the installers who came out could use windows. They were unable to make either MODEM work, but told me I had to call in after midnight. After that things worked right for a day or so until I asked to change my MODEM. Then they cut off service and blocked my email account.

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

here, here dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Where? Where? ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

[and the obligatory]

"there, there!"

dj

Reply to
Dr. Cajones

Ok...I don't know where you get the idea DSL in general is faster...the regular, commercially avaliable DSL through Verizon or SBC/Yahoo is only rated at 2-3.5 Mbits/sec...Comcast just recently started offering 6 Mbits/sec (YES, I have hit 500 kbps downloading from BT just 2 days ago). Second, how the hell is satellite avaliable everywhere? You need a CLEAR view of the southern sky, some areas are blacked out to services such as local programming and internet, and both DirecTV and Dish Network suck...I'd much rather have outages for a day when upgrades are being done rather than have crummy satellite programming/internet that shows the "SEARCHING FOR SATELLITE SIGNAL" every other day for in intervals of 15 minutes....its great when you get that "SEARCHING...." message an hour before a storm comes in...really reliable...yeah..

------------------------------------- f/fgeorge wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.modems.cable - 4018 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
guy8484

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.