Comcast issue

Hi,

I do computer work out of my home. Recently any new computers added to the network (primarily done for patching Windows re-installs) cannot utilize Comcast; I only get a "Welcome to Comcast Highspeed" page and a link to get the "downloadable_install_wizard.exe" file which is at http://cdn/downloadable_install_wizard.exe; This is not a valid url so I never get onto the net. Comcast states that the cache on the Netgear MR814 needs to be cleared...don't think it was keep stuff in cache and since I am able to get out on my regular machine, I am having trouble swallowing this answer. Pulled plug on 814 trying to let it clear but got same result.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Reply to
tupurz2
Loading thread data ...

Power down both modem and router. After 15 sec, power up the modem, wait until its light stabilize, then power up the router. This clears the MAC address cache in the **MODEM** and allows the router to be the connected computer. With the router, this only needs to be done once. You do have a valid Comcast HSI account?

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Spoke to comcast who had recommended the same thing. Appararently they were right. After I decided to static apply a new ip to one of the computers with the issue, internet works fine. DHCP assigned new ip's fail.

Reply to
tupurz2

'cdn' is a local nickname for the download site. In my case it expands to cdn.sanjose.ca.sanfran.comcast.net. This expanded name along with the numerical internet address is displayed when you type

ping cdn

at a command prompt. I would be curious to know what your expanded address is, or what part of the country you are in.

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

I didn't notice whether you're using a router, but in case you're not, please don't assign a static IP address to any PC's. The Comcast DHCP servers will be unaware that you've done so, and will assign that same IP to someone else.

By far,the easiest thing to do is to connect a router to your cable modem. Then you can add and remove PC's from the LAN side of the router all day long and each of them will have immediate, full, access to the Internet. No rebooting cable modem, etc.

Reply to
Bill M.

Sounds like your MR814 isn't connected correctly. Make sure your cable modem is connected to the router's Internet (WAN) port nearest the antenna and not one of the four local (LAN) ports.

-Larry Jones

In a minute, you and I are going to settle this out of doors. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.