Comcast is back to normal in Macomb Township

What ever Comcast was doing for a few weeks, seems to have settled down. Both TV, and Cable Modem service are back to normal, and stable.

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker
Loading thread data ...

Not here in California it hasn't. I've shut off the power to the MODEM and computer a hundred times. That seems to be the only answer that COMCAST support has other than to lie to us about MODEM problems.

Only the nameserver and ping work. Simplest steup in the world. One computer no router. Trying USB for day or two then ethernet and then back again. This has gone on for weeks.

What part of the country is Macomb township in?

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

Google is your friend -

formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

So the answer is: Michigan.

Google is *not* my friend. Its income comes from ads for things I do not want to buy and sales of information I would rather people did not know. Each of us gives something away every time we use this "free" service.

But what we give away using google is only a tiny fraction of what we give away by accepting a special MODEM from COMCAST/bedrock. I do hope no one thinks their "secure" internet protocol is secure in such a situation, that their credit card details and bank accounts are safe from prying eyes.

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

I give Google zero information and have never followed one of their ads, so what you're saying is totally wrong and you are missing out on a great internet resource.

Just exactly what would that be ?

Wouldn't know - don't have one.

Which situation is that ? SSL isn't totally secure, but it would take resources that only are readily available to the govt to break your transaction. Even then, who cares ? I'll just cancel my card and get a new one.

Reply to
$Bill

Wow. What a wonderful justification to remain ignorant. "I can't use a search engine because they make money from targeted advertising."

I'd suggest with your conspiracy theories that you're not safe on the Internet at all. You're not safe ever leaving your house. Board-up your windows, reinforce the doors, and disconnect from the rest of the world. It's the only way you'll be safe from us. (Or us safe from you.)

Reply to
Warren

Macomb Township, Michigan.

It looks like I spoke too soon...problems have returned with service being interrupted one, to three times daily!

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Your implication that I do not know how to use a search engine, or that I do not use one is wide of the mark. I asked the OP where he lived because I think some areas are getting shortchanged on service. The answer may well be Michigan, but only the OP knows for sure. Why the extraneous BS about google being my friend? There is a difference between being friends and having a business relationship.

The reason I didn't use google was that there could very well be more than one Macomb Township, and there is no guarantee that the one that pops up in a search is the one where the poster lives.

Every time you do a search you give them information, whether you realize it or not!

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

I realized since I wrote this that this is different from an ordinary MODEM in that strangers cannot send hostile traffic into a cable MODEM as easily as a telephone MODEM. In this case the line (cable) is owned by the ISP (COMCAST), or at least I think it is.

In my region the telephone wires sometimes are the targets of malicious vandals. Someone even stole one of my lines for a few months. When you are out in the country anyone can get up on the pole and mess with the wires. So if they are (as the tech said) reprogramming their rental MODEMs from their office, I have to wonder whether someone else could also reprogram them for the purposes I mentioned.

It disturbs me that the COMCAST support people work in an environment that is so secure they can't send an email, but my security seems to be no concern to them at all. I am already getting spam in my email inbox, and I haven't even been able to connect yet!

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

Only got that impression from your negative feedback to my post informing you that you could get the information yourself using a search engine.

Not BS - just a suggestion to get the info yourself using a search engine.

I have no idea what that means. I'm neither a friend nor a business partner with Google - just a pleased user. When I said Google is your friend, it meant that Google was a friendly way of getting the info on your own without wasting other people's time. This is the age of information and you need to know how to get at that information and Google is one great way.

If that were true, you would have gotten multiple hits indicating there were more than one and then it might have been appropriate to ask for more info.

That's just too inane to respond to. I thought you said you used search engines ? Does that mean you're giving away information about yourself ? You have a lot to learn about the internet.

Reply to
$Bill

Why are you talking about yourself? I just do not consider a search engine -- ANY search engine -- to be friendly. It is just something you use that has certain characteristics. You may belong to the school of thought that believes in user friendly software. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing. What they call user friendly means obnoxious and overly familiar to me. Stick to business please.

Not necessarily. Not every city, county, and township has a web page, and I have noticed that sometimes links that do not come up when they should. Find a page one day, then do the exact same search the next day and the page has vanished. Use a different combination of keywords and up it pops again. So I do not trust google to tell me that a second macomb township does not exist in a different state.

Absolutely. That is why advertisers pay for those key words. It is information about me that they can use for marketing. This is not always a bad thing. It just needs to be kept in mind. The sale of information is what pays for the service; it is a business.

Are you here for constructive discussion, or are you only tooting your own horn by insulting me?

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

I think I'm insulting your lack of common sense and your inability to resolve a simple question on your own.

Reply to
$Bill

You *think* you are insulting?

You need to spend a few days reading up on netiquette before you post again. Not only will the tenor of your posts improve, but you will know when you are insulting. Here are a few helpful pages to begin:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

OTOH there is nothing common about sense. What is common is to misunderstand a question and insist on an answer that is simple, heartfelt, and wrong.

Reply to
Hu-mi Yu

I guess not in your case - you must be used to it be now.

You need to spend a few days learning how to use usenet tools like search engines.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.