Comcast Cable Poor Reception on Old ABC CBS ABC Channels

I live in South Jersey near Philadelphia so we've got the Big three networks on channels 3, 6 , and 10. All 3 have poor reception. Channel

7 which is Fox and has Pro Football is perfect just like the higher channels. The HBO channels 14, 15, and 16 are inbetween reception wise. I tried find a similar problem using google but I didn't have any luck. Anyone know what's what with this?

Mike

Reply to
rapierwit
Loading thread data ...

What does this have to do with cable modems? If you have a problem with TV reception, complain to your cable company.

Reply to
James Knott

Remember that the lower channels are being broadcast from the local analog stations. Cable has appropriated the frequencies for their cable channels. What is probably happening is that your TV is picking up the local signal over the air at the same time the cable is sending in their signal. As a result, you may be getting interference. Your TV may not have enough shielding to combat this, but if it is a current model, the likely cause may be that your coax cables are deficient. Be sure you have Comcast come out and provide their cables with the proper connectors. The Radio Shack/Walmart quality push-on cables will not work too well. You may also see the effect on the higher frequency channels.

burris

Reply to
burris

Years ago, when I could see the CN Tower (where most of the Toronto TV & FM stations are located) from my apartment, I had a similar problem, even with good quality cables. I was able to resolve it, by placing ferrite chokes over the cables, near the connectors. This prevented signals that were being carried over the shield, from entering my TV & VCR.

You'll often see similar chokes on computer monitor cables and others, where they're used to keep a device from causing interference.

Reply to
James Knott

where in South Jersey? Is this a new issue or has it always been like this?

Paul

Reply to
Paw

I had a push on coax cable, and saw the symptoms. I fixed this problem by replacing with a cable that has lock nut. Occasionally the nut works loose, and I'll see the same symptom as the OP. So, check all the connections.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Wurster

Reply to
BigJIm

Mike, did you use your CATV button?

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Man oh man! You guys are great! Thanks for all the info. I let you know how I resolve the problem.

I looked on my TV remote's menu and I didn't see a setting for catv/ant on it. I have seen the setting on remotes for other tvs.

Reply to
rapierwit

I have had Comcast come out for other TVs and they've always blame the set. This is a new TV so I figured I'd look on my own. I am in Runnemede.

Reply to
rapierwit

If your reception via antenna is better than via cable, push the CATV button!

(Ok, my cable guy had to tell me that!)

Reply to
Rick Merrill

That explains it. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.