cisco 1721 to cable modem setup

does anyone know how to setup a cisco router to cable modem and switch . i have 2 ports ethernet0 and fastethernet0 i set up the ethernet0 to dhcp , and fastethernet0 to lan i can ping google.com with my router but i cant seem to be able to get internet access on my client pc .

Reply to
TBui518
Loading thread data ...

You will need NAT configured on the router you will need rollover cable to connect to router's console port to your PC's serial port. Then you will need to use terminal emulation program like Hyper Terminal in Windows. Use the settings 9600,8,N,1

Try this: (im showing the prompts just for clearity) and anything including '//' and after are comments DO NOT type them in.

Router> enable //puts the router into privileged mode Router# configure terminal //global configuration mode Router(config)# interface ethernet0 //interface configuration mode Router(config-if)# ip nat outside //outside because its the ISP Router(config-if)# exit Router(config)# interface fastEthernet 0 Router(config-if)# ip nat inside //this faces your LAN so it is INSIDE Router(config-if)# ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0 //sets the router's internal IP to 172.16.0.1, use this for your default gateway on your clients Router(config-if)# exit Router(config)# access-list 1 permit 172.16.0.0 0.0.0.255 //allows your LAN clients to be translated through the NAT interface Router(config)# ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet 0 overload //tells the router to translate LIST 1 to Ethernet 0, overload means PAT (many-to-ne) as opposed to one to one

To make your router act as a DHCP server do this:

Router(config)# ip dhcp pool INTERNAL //enter DHCP configuration mode Router(dhcp-config)# network 172.16.0.0 255.255.255.0 //define the range of addresses to be distributed by DHCP Router(dhcp-config)# default-router 172.16.0.1 //advertise THIS router 172.16.0.1 to clients to use as their default gateway Router(dhcp-config)# dns-server //put your dns server there to distribute to clients, there could be more than one Router(dhcp-config)# exit Router(config)# ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.0.1 //makes sure the IP address used by router does NOT get distributed to clients

Be sure to save your configuration to NVRAM otherwise you will loose it if you loose power!

Router(config)# exit Router# copy running-config startup-config

The Resulting configuration should look something like this:

interface ethernet 0 ip address dhcp ip nat outside

interface fastEthernet 0 ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside

ip nat inside source list 1 interface Ethernet 0 overload

ip dhcp pool INTERNAL network 172.16.0.0 255.255.255.0 default-router 172.16.0.1 dns-server

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.0.1

You can verify the configuration by showing it using the "show run" command:

Router# show run Router# show ip int br //this displays the IP addresses configured on the router

Hope this Helps

Viele Grüße

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
derSchweiz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.