Choosing between two cable modems....

I could be waay off here but motorola has been making cable modems for a very long time.. at least for my area..

I started out with a motorola cybersurfer cable modem.. tried a few different ones. (linksys and rca) and came right back to motorola. I would stick with the motorola one.. i just have better luck with them.. Ive never used a s.a. cable modem and neither has anybody else that i know... That doesn't stick well with me..

my opinion: Stick with the champ, it's been around a lot longer for cable modems.. the motorola..

Reply to
Danska
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I've done some googles for sites that review and compare cable modems, but have come up (for the most part) empty handed. Found some good info scattered around Broadbandreport's forums, but no comparisons.

Anyway, trying to decide between two modems for cable internet + VOIP service.

(These two modems are my only available choices with the provider.)

• Motorola Surfboard SBV4200
  • Scientific-Atlanta Webstar DPX2203

I was able to locate the datasheets for both modems and they both appear to be very similiar in specifications. I was also able to find the full user manual for the Motorola Surfboard SBV4200, but not the SA Webstar DPX2203. (The Motorola Surfboard SBV4200 appears to be available as a consumer retail product, while the SA Webstar DPX2003 appears to only be available for cable providers.)

The Motorola Surfboard SBV4200 appears to have been released in 2002, while the Scientific-Atlanta Webstar DPX2203 was released just last year. Datasheets lists the specs as being practically identifical, however. Same DOCSIS versions, frequency ranges, operating levels, VOIP protocols, DTMF characteristics, ect. Both support 2-line VOIP and can networked for data through either ethernet or USB. (I'll be using ethernet going to a router.)

Basically, it looks like it probably just comes down to brand (Motorola versus SA), so I was looking for some feedback between the two brands -- i.e., is one more prone to instability, heating issues, ect?

Thanks!

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

What about an SBV5100 ?

Motorola has some new stuff out for voice VoIP gateways like the VT2000 series. The VT2400 is also a router and has 4 LAN ports and the VT2500 adds wireless. Team that up with an SB5100 modem and you should be in good shape. I haven't seen any prices on them yet though.

Reply to
$Bill

What I've seen so far is cable companies providing a list of approved modems, not a list of approved DOSCSIS levels. Which ones are doing that?

Reply to
Bill M.

Why?

Your cable company will dictate what DOCSIS level the unit needs to support. Beyond that, they don't care if it's two cans and a string. As long as it supports the DOCSIS level that's appropriate for their system.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The OP said he's getting VoIP from the cable company. In that case, they do get to specify the VoIP hardware as well. Both of these modems integrate a VoIP terminal adapter.

Now, if the OP were to decide to get VoIP from a different vendor, such as Vonage, and only get data from the cable co, then his equipment choices would be greater. He'd probably save money too, as Vonage is $25/month for unlimited local/long distance service. Most cable companies are charging $35-$49/month for the same service.

If anyone reading this is thinking seriously about Vonage, the best way to sign up is to get a referral from an existing Vonage customer and sign up online. It's a better deal than retail packages, the new customer gets a month free and the referrer gets two months free.

Of course, as a satisfied Vonage customer myself, I'd be happy to refer anyone. Send an email to me at spam8888 at comcast dot net, including the email address you'll use when signing up for Vonage, and I'll send out a referral to that email address as soon as possible (usually less than 24 hours).

If you are considering Vonage, whatever you do look at deals online, they are almost always better than the retail package. And make sure you get a referral from somebody, even if it isn't me.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

No can do. I have to use either the Motorola SBV4200 or SA DPX2203. As for a router and wireless, I already have such hardware (802.11a/g/b) so any additional hardware would only be redundent.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thanks. I'm not too familiar with Scientific-Atlanta hardware either. I've actually been using the Motorola SBV4200 for a couple days now, but was offered the SA DPX2203. Couldn't see hardly any difference between the two in the specs sheet and just threw this out in hopes that perhaps someone had experience with the two and could make a "real world" comparison. The Motorola seems to functioning solidly for the last few days, so probably will just stick with it. Seeing downstreams topping off around 4.82 Mbs (out of 5 Mbs), which is on par with the older Toshiba 1100U that it replaced. (Replacing the Toshiba with the Motorola modem was to take advantage of VOIP.) Status of the Motorola SBV4200 seems to be holding fairly well with clean logs and signal levels within tolerance.

Downstream: Power Level -4 dBmV, SNR 37 dB Upstream: Power Level 41 dBmV

One feature that caught my eye with the SA DPX2203 was the ability to use a battery storage pack with it. Haven't googled that subject yet, but was thinking that would be a nice feature if such battery packs were available as seperate consumer retail purchases. If my understanding is correct, if power should be lost then such a battery pack would allow continued telephone use until either the modem's battery power is depleted and/or the cable company's battery power on the poles are depleted. (?)

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric wrote: ....

The battery pack power is a very nice feature because a UPS is expensive and relative to a battery pack UPS is inefficient. - RM

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Er, just looked at the specs again...

The SA DBX2203 is DOCSIS 2.0 complient, while the Motorola SBV4200 is DOCSIS

1.1 complient.

(Cableco isn't using DOCSIS 2.0 though.)

Reply to
Eric

Already inquired with RR regarding cable modems with VoIP. Only these two specific models made be used. In addition, they must be RR provided -- you can not not use your own. Prior to subscribing to VoIP, I was using my own cable modem however the requirement to use their modems is a policy with their cable internet + VoIP service.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hi,

I did take a look at Vonage prior to subscribing to RR's VoIP. Vonage's prices and features were certaintly attractive, but I elected to go with RR as I wanted to keep the same phone number that I've had for 20+ years. Paying more for VoIP with RR ($40/month), but its still less than local telco.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

Rick Merrill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well a 350VA APC UPS is only ~30 - 40USD... and that should be enough power to run a cable modem for at least an hour (or more!). So it's not that expensive : )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

"Eric" wrote in news:JV2Zd.17323$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Vonage can do number transfers.

Also check out Primus Lingo - I believe primus does number transfers too.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

"Lucas Tam" wrote

They can transfer some numbers, but unfortunetly couldn't transfer mine.

My number entered at:

formatting link
Yields: "Our records indicate you cannot keep your current telephone number."

I also inquired by email if I could keep the same number and was told that it wouldn't be possible.

Looked into Primus as well, including reviews and user feedbacks -- which didn't rate their service very well.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

And Packet8 is only $20 for the same service.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yeah, and Packet8 also needs two months to attempt (no guarantee) to bring your existing phone number over -- during which time your "current phone number is discontinued and a temporary number is given". That doesn't raise a lot of confidence. I read a lot of reviews regarding the major VoIP providers, including Packet8. I also did many deja searches to see what others have experienced with their services. I came across many postings that said the LNP (Local Number Portability) attempt was unsuccessful. I'm sure many people are probably happy with Vonage, Packet8, and the other "cheapies", but many others are saying that they have gotten the type of service that type paid for (i.e., cheap). When you have the same phone number for 25 years, you aren't going to take any chances of losing that number.

I'm using RR's VoIP, it works just fine, features work as advertised, having experienced any downtime or service issues, my existing phone number was easily transfered over in a short time, and I'm saving money based on what I had previously been paying with the local telco.

Back to relevant topic, I've since swapped the Motorola modem out for the newer DOSCSIS 2.0 capable modem. Noticed no difference in bandwidth performance (still works great) and all the signal levels, SNR, ect are in the green. Having the battery pack, however, is very nice and worth the swap.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

I live in McAllen, Texas, USA. Vonage and Lingo cannot yet offer a local toll free number, so it was important that my SBC number be ported. Packet8 could not only port my SBC number, but they offered a local temparary number that could be called from the McAllen area toll free. I ruled out RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) by price alone ($39.95/month).

I signed up with Packet8 on March 7, 2005 at $19.95/month. I faxed my application to have my SBC number ported to my Packet8 account on March

8, 2005. I received my Packet8 device, hooked it up, and activated it on March 17, 2005. My old SBC phone number was ported on April 8, 2005. The transfer was almost seamless (a phone call to Packet8) when my SBC service was terminated.

So far, everything seems to be working as advertised. Call forwarding, Call waiting, Caller ID, Voicemail, Etc. Also, my use history is available on the Packet8 site and is impacted within 10 seconds of my hanging up the phone.

Quality of the voice is as good as my experience with SBC. I wear hearing aids and voice quality is important.

So far, so good. Time will tell..

Reply to
John Harper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.