Cat 5 splitter

Is it possible to go from one cable modem output and split the signal to supply two different routers? (one hard wired and one wireless) Thanks

Reply to
R. Hebert
Loading thread data ...

No. Connect the wireless router to one output of the wired router and and configure the wireless router to function in bridge mode, effectively converting it into a switch.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

You'll need two routable IP's from your provider if you do it that way, which might cost an extra monthly fee. You'll also need something (like a hub or switch) to "split" the signal to the two routers.

Instead of all that, I would designate one router as the main router and connect its WAN port directly to the cable modem. On the second router, I would disable the DHCP server and connect one of its LAN ports to a LAN port on the main router. Done.

Reply to
Bill M.

Reply to
R. Hebert

Is this the picture?

Cable Modem Wired Router Wireless Router

----------- ------------ --------------- (output) ==== WAN Lan #2 ======== Lan #1 =========================== PC, doesn't work ============ Laptop, works

I'm no expert, but I would have thought you'd want the connection from Lan #2 on the Wired Router to go to the WAN socket on the Wireless Router.

Are you sure your laptop isn't using your neighbor's wireless router instead of your own?

Another wild guess: Maybe both routers are trying to use the same local IP address, such as 192.168.1.1?

-- To email me, substitute nowhere->spamcop, invalid->net.

Reply to
Peter Pearson

Reply to
R. Hebert

That will result in having two separate networks, separated from each other by a router. For pure Internet access you'll be ok, but printer and file sharing will be tricky, as will any port forwarding that may need to be done to enable specific services. Much better (simpler) to keep things to a single network.

I believe you're right about that, and I thought of it yesterday but forgot to say anything about it. Good catch.

I think our first question should have been to ask why two routers need to be in the picture at all.

Reply to
Bill M.

First, may I suggest that you not try to use two routers unless you have a good reason to do so? You might be overcomplicating things for no reason. :)

Next, since clicking the 'wired' shortcut takes you to the 'wireless' router, that indicates that Peter is correct in assuming that your two routers are using the same local IP address. That's easy to fix, but see my next paragraph...

Unless you need both routers, I would remove the wired router and set it aside. Connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the wireless router, then connect any wired PC's to the various LAN ports. Assuming you have enough ports, you'll be done. The wired PC's will connect to the wireless router via their wired connections and the wireless PC will connect to the same router via its wireless connection.

Don't forget to reboot everything before trying to access the Internet. Power down the cable modem, the router, and the PC's. Power up the cable modem, wait for it to stabilize, then power up the router and wait for it to stabilize, and lastly power up the PC or PC's.

Reply to
Bill M.

Reply to
R. Hebert

On behalf of everyone who helped, you're welcome. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

And if you need more ports that the wireless router has, connect a switch to one of the LAN ports of the router.

CIAO!

Ed N.

R. Hebert wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.