Can I get an IAD which contains 4-port ethernet switch + modem (cable or adsl)?

I am looking for IAD device which contains 4-port switch/Router + modem (Cable or ADSL), does this device is available in anywhere?. Also Is there any disadvantages in this?. I am having two separate boxes, 1) Cable modem and 2) 4-port switch+Router, I wanted to combine these two. Thanks

Reply to
santa19992000
Loading thread data ...

What do you think the advantage of combining the devices is?

The disadvantage is that you give up control. A cable modem is configured by the cable company. They decide which firmware to push out to the modem. They decide which config file to push out to the modem. If you've combined the router into the cable modem, you have given up control of your router.

Also, if either device fails, and you've got some kind of a combination device, you would have to replace the whole thing. With separate components, if one fails, only that device needs to be replaced.

If there was an advantage to combining the two devices, you'd have no problem finding such devices on the market. But there is no advantage to combining the devices other than reduction of the number of wires. Combining the two devices for a cosmetic reason doesn't really make much sense.

Reply to
Warren

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.