cable modem trouble [ part 2 ]

Sorry don't mean to harp on this much longer but one more question regarding my spare cable modem problem.

Since I believe the spare cable modem is in a power up self-test loop when I swap it out with the orig cable modem and put it on line, here is my question for the spare cable modem.

Do you think this has to do with the mac address (spare cable modem) not being in Earthlink's router access list or a faulty modem?

Reply to
jim greene
Loading thread data ...

If it's truly a "spare" modem, please put it on a shelf until your current modem dies. Then, and only then, should you hook it up and get it provisioned. You can't have two cable modems on a single account without the full knowledge and cooperation of the cable company. You haven't told us anything to make me think your new modem is faulty; it simply isn't provisioned.

Reply to
Bill M.

Like I said earlier you can only have one modem on your account at any given time. To use your spare modem you must call TWC and give them the HFC MAC ID off the back of the modem and they will provision it... at that time they would remove your original modem which would disable it from further access and you would physically return it to TWC. This is what keeps people from buying a modem off ebay and getting free service. Each modem has to be provisioned and receive a "hit" authorizing it for service. This comes in the form of a bin file that tells the modem what level of service you are subscribed to (such as different speeds, multiple IP's, etc). I strongly suspect your problem is that you never actually had the modems swapped out. You do need to call TWC to have it swapped. Earthlink doesnt play a role in this area at all.

Reply to
helion

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.