cable modem - router - help

Hey guys.... I am new to this newsgroups thing... this is my first post... i am having trouble with my internet... I keep getting disconnected but it reconnects again after a couple of second... it's bad cuz it cancels all my downloads and also my chatting programs... I am using Windows XP HOME.... cable modem... wireless router (netgear MR

814 v2)... but im not connected through wireless... I tried everything i could... i even tried reformatting my whole hardrive... but its still d same... i tried calling comcast (my ISP) but dey sed i dint loose signal from them.. they sed its my computer... but i really doubt that is only my computer cuz i also get disconnected to my xbox live while playing... I've noticed that i often get disconnected wen i download too many things at once... but ive been doing those before with my old computer and i dint get disconnected... and i figured that my cable modem can handle it... I NEED HELP ! MY INTERNET IS MESSED UP !!! IM BEGGING FOR HELP!! ANYTHING !! HELP !!! PLEEEAAASEEE =D
Reply to
franciz3
Loading thread data ...

Did you do the 2 minute drill? Power off (i.e. unplug) everything (reset will not suffice). Then power up the modem (and wait 2 minutes - you see where this is going...) then power up the router (wait...) then power up the XP Home system.

If that fails you have bad connections on the cable...

Reply to
Rick Merrill

i do that drill.. if i completely loose my internet... like if it dint reconnect... but my internet coms bak right away after i get disconnected... well that drill is the only "suggestion" comcast can tell you if i call them again.... =\

Reply to
franciz3

SSL??.. i dont think i have that... and yes i am using DHCP...and no it doesnt only happened when im using p2p programs... sometimes my computer is off and im jes playing xbox... i even get kickd out of xbox live for ... unknown reason...but after couple of sec i can connect back to xbox live again... !?!?!

Reply to
franciz3

is there any other way to stable my connection !?!?!?!?! my cable modem is acting like a 56k !! (not d speed) :(

Reply to
franciz3

mumble.. make sure to switch off SSL ... and make sure you are using DHCP and not setting some old IP address ... just because you get "connected" does not mean you are connected correctly... good luck!

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Does this happen only when you're connected to P2P networks? If yes, try if reducing the maximum number of connections helps...most consumer routers only can sustain a limited number of sessions for more than a short while, and when you exceed this number for a longer time, they lose connection to the cable modem. This causes the active connections to drop, and allows the router to resume normal operation. Also, make sure you don't make the whole US bandwidth available to P2P programs as this might leave you with not enough bandwidth for 'normal' internet activity.

Cheers,

Rolf

franciz3 wrote:

Reply to
Rolf Schlömer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.