cable modem concurrent with a dialup possible ?

Are you talking about getting your mail from a previous ISP (dial-up) ? They probably have either a web interface that you can use or a way to access it from your email client using POP3 server. You should be able to maintain both cable and dial-up connections (maybe not simultaneously), but I doubt you'll need to if you can access it via the internet.

I've never used wireless, but with wired you should just be able to use file/print sharing to allow you to access the printer from the other computer (that's not connected to it) - I assume wireless would be identical in operation.

The router should take care of everything unless your ISP needs to have the new MAC address of the router (in place of the computer you may have had connected already). If you're connecting for the first time, just connect the modem first and then the router and you should be fine. Then power up the PCs.

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

I'm setting up a cablemodem (Cablevision supplied) to two pc's using a Netgear WGR614 wireless with two Netgear WG111 adapters. To prevent a lapse in email that goes to one of the computers (have not had the opportunity to notify everyone of the change in email addresses yet) I would like to have one of the computers retain dialup access via a separate modem. Can this be done or will the IP addresses (I assume both DHCP) clash and prevent access by one or both when both are used?

An additional problem is with a printer that is not going to be wireless that has to be routed through one of the pc's that is directly connected Can this be used with the parallel port on one of the machines with an ethernet cable between the two pc's to enable both to use the printer? We don't want to buy a print server right now.

I'm to set this up this afternoon and have this funny feeling I could be showing up at the office to a tangled nightmare. Dave C gave me good instructions for the wireless which I'm going to use but need to know if dialup can be used concurrently with it.

Will I need to spoof one of the MAC addresses or will the router take care of it all? I know many people use multiple machines with one cable account but just want to make sure about this.

Thanks,

Karen

Reply to
Karen

It's a previous ISP dialup however the (home) business has multiple email accounts and access via a web interface would be unweildly for the one person handling all of the email. They currently use Moz / POP3. I guess I'll try it after connecting both to the router and hopefully not screw anything up (will do a restore point prior to playing with it which hopefully will back up any prior configs).

Yes, right. I'm currently using file/print sharing at home but using an AirPort Extreme (the only router I could find with a modem as there is no cable/dsl here) to link between my Mac and PC. Hopefully they are identical in op.

They are installing a new line and hopefully they will not set up the modem/PC. I'm assuming that there will be a problem if there is a conflict between MAC addresses of the modem/router? Sorry for the questions but I've never performed this kind of a setup before (once did NT and Novell networks but never anything to do with "online", just setup and admin)

Thanks,

Karen

>
Reply to
Karen

Karen, After I got cable, I kept my dial-up ISP for almost a full year because I had just paid the full year. I had no difficulty getting my email via POP3. The problem was with sending via SMTP as the ISP authenticated on the dial-up initial login and the fact that I connected to their modem bank. I asked for and received a temporary setup with them to do SMTP AUTH and was able to send via that account. However, the tech that set it up was told to take down the SMTP AUTH and that ended that. "They told him it was too complicated for their average user to understand."???? I was able to connect via dialup modem and send via the previous normal method. There is one caveat, the dialup connection will take precedence while active, slowing all internet access to dialup speeds.

Check with your dialup ISP about whether they offer SMTP AUTH. If they do you will have full access to those email accounts.

My dialup ISP also had excellent Usenet coverage, which I never was able to access via cable. If I could have kept full access to it at cable speeds, I would have kept it along with my cable. It is still only $97 per year, and I buy it for my mother-inlaw at her home. That and no SMTP AUTH was my only complaints with the ISP.

Most routers have a facility to clone the MAC address of your computer's NIC. I was able to connect either way. I had to replace my router due to a lightning strike and the original NIC in the computer was changed also, so all new MAC addresses. When I connected directly to the new NIC, I received a different IP via DHCP, yet another one after putting my new router(with it's own MAC) in the mix. The router was out of the mix for about a week. Oddly, I received my old IP(which I'd had for about a year) after cloning the old original NIC's MAC into the router. This may well vary depending on your cable provider.

Reply to
John Gray

Mozilla can easily handle multiple POP3 accounts and you can keep the inbox's separate or glom them all together.

If you have a new line coming in, I would guess whatever you connect to the modem will get picked up. Many ISPs don't care about anything past the modem MAC address, so what you connect to the modem may be just ignored.

Me either, but I would hope if it doesn't work that all you would need to do is call them up with the new MAC address (or alternatively spoof the PC MAC for the router).

Reply to
$Bill

As others have posted, there should be no problem keeping both modems. In fact, I often switch between them and have no problem doing so. When I dial up my alternate ISP, it immediately takes precedence. As soon as I hang up the cable is back on. Just be aware that this might mean changing various email and usenet servers.

As for email, I download from my dialup ISP and send through my cable ISP all the time. Most of the well-known email programs can easily handle setting this up. In my case I use Pegasus and my main email configuration is set so that on the incoming side:

server: mail.dialupisp.whatever username: dialupispusername password: dialupisppassword

And on the outgoing side (since I happen to use Comcast):

server: smtp.comcast.net username: Comcastusername password: Comcastpassword

This has been working since Comcast was still @Home.

mady

Reply to
mady

I don't see why you'd ever want to do this.

You can keep your existing dial-up email client settings and simply change the SMTP server for outgoing mail on your dial-up accounts to your cable ISP's SMTP server address. I have done this for years, mixing accounts from several dial-up providers, and receiving email with setups to the appropriate pop3 address of the dial-up ISP and sending SMTP for all of the dial-up accounts via my cable ISP.

Is there some reason why it would matter if you used your dial-up ISP's SMTP server (I have never had any issues with my setup, even on picky email lists)?

I am assuming that the printer is on one of the machines (on a parallel port) that will be accessing the Internet via the wireless router? If so, your two client machines should be on the same subnet, and simple printer sharing will work (I am assuming you are using a Micro$oft OS, but sharing works fine using CUPS on Linux, too.)

You don't need an Ethernet cable between the machines, the printer sharing can be done with the existing wireless connection.

Again, I don't think you have a need for concurrent use of dial-up and Cable access. Let me know why you think you do, if you still believe it's necessary.

Power down your cable modem for a minute or two, then power it up. Once it Was there some real syncs, power up the router and see if you've got connectivity.

If you are looking for failover to dial-up should your cable connection fail, I would recommend a hardware firewall (easy to set up as well as maintain and based on a specialized Linux distro and running on a slow cast off machine) which would handle all of the wired/wireless routing as well as the failover. This is a bit more involved, but a better solution. Let me know if you want details on this. It's cheap and easy to set up.

Was there some real reason why you went wireless rather than using Ethernet? USB adapters, Ethernet or wireless aren't the most stable and reliable way to accomplish what you're doing unless there are extenuating circumstances. Not to mention the security issues (I hope that you've got these in hand and are using encryption?)

Rick Kunath

Reply to
Rick Kunath

In article , John Gray wrote: : After I got cable, I kept my dial-up ISP for almost a full year :because I had just paid the full year. I had no difficulty getting my :email via POP3. The problem was with sending via SMTP as the ISP :authenticated on the dial-up initial login and the fact that I :connected to their modem bank. I asked for and received a temporary :setup with them to do SMTP AUTH and was able to send via that account. :However, the tech that set it up was told to take down the SMTP AUTH :and that ended that. "They told him it was too complicated for their :average user to understand."???? I was able to connect via dialup :modem and send via the previous normal method. There is one caveat, :the dialup connection will take precedence while active, slowing all :internet access to dialup speeds.

The way I handled that was to leave my Ethernet connection as the default route and add specific "reject" routing table entries for those servers that required me to use the PPP connection:

Here's the snippit from my rc.local to accomplish that:

TPS=`dig +short old.smtp.host.com old.nntp.host.com | grep -v '[a-z]'` if route | grep -q '^default .* eth[0-9]$' then for X in $TPS do XS=`echo $X | sed -s 's/\\./[.]/g'` if route 2>/dev/null | grep -q "$XS .* ! " then : #already blocked else route add -host $X reject fi done fi

Worked great! Traffic to those hosts used the PPP connection, or received a "No route to host" error if the PPP connection was not up. All other traffic went via the cable modem on the Ethernet port.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Bob, Thanks for bringing that up. I looked into setting that up when I still had my dial up alongside my cable ISP. The link to the instructions on Microsoft.com is still in my browser bookmarks.

Since it didn't take long to send what few messages I wanted to traverse the dial up SMTP route, I didn't make the effort. I could have simply used the cable ISP to send out those messages as Rick Kunath mentioned in this thread, but anyone that looks at the full headers might have wondered about their authenticity.

Nowadays there are a few receiving SMTP servers set up to reject those messages that originate from a source SMTP server not matching the Mail From: header's domain. Some cable operators may not allow their SMTP servers to send messages from their users unless the From: is one allowed for that account. Both are used to stem the flood of spam and virus infected messages spread via spoofing.

Reply to
John Gray

Robert, John, mady, $Bill,

Thank *all* of you for the help with this and the suggestions. Hopefully all will work, using one or the other methods, when I set this up. It should have been done Saturday but the cable company (need room wired by them) did not show for the third time and had to reschedule

*again* :(

Karen

Reply to
Karen

In article , John Gray wrote: :In article , Robert Nichols :SEE snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain.invalidsays... :> The way I handled that was to leave my Ethernet connection as the :> default route and add specific "reject" routing table entries for :> those servers that required me to use the PPP connection: :> :> Here's the snippit from my rc.local to accomplish that: :> :> TPS=`dig +short old.smtp.host.com old.nntp.host.com | grep -v '[a-z]'` :> if route | grep -q '^default .* eth[0-9]$' :> then for X in $TPS :> do XS=`echo $X | sed -s 's/\\./[.]/g'` :> if route 2>/dev/null | grep -q "$XS .* ! " :> then : #already blocked :> else route add -host $X reject :> fi :> done :> fi :> :> :> Worked great! Traffic to those hosts used the PPP connection, or :> received a "No route to host" error if the PPP connection was not up. :> All other traffic went via the cable modem on the Ethernet port. :> :> : :Bob, : Thanks for bringing that up. I looked into setting that up when :I still had my dial up alongside my cable ISP. The link to the :instructions on Microsoft.com is still in my browser bookmarks. : :Since it didn't take long to send what few messages I wanted to :traverse the dial up SMTP route, I didn't make the effort. I could :have simply used the cable ISP to send out those messages as Rick :Kunath mentioned in this thread, but anyone that looks at the full :headers might have wondered about their authenticity.

For me, the most important consideration was getting a nice, clean "No route to host" error for any attempt to connect to those hosts while the PPP connection was down. That's more recognizable than having the connection rejected by the server, which might result from a variety of causes, and scripts can check for the existence of a route and bring up PPP if needed (perhaps as a fallback because the cable connection is down).

Reply to
Robert Nichols

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.