Cable Modem and Airline Security - A little off topic

Don't be so paranoid.

I've flown cross country and to USVI with a mobile phone, PDA and adapter cable, GPS receiver, suction cup windshield mount, cigarette lighter plug, and wall power adapter in my carry-on, and it never gets a second glance. About 8 pounds of wire, plastic,and batteries. My laptop case gets packed with PCMCIA ethernet and wireless cards, 6' of CAT5 cable, a mini-USB hub, an AC and a DC power adapter. The laptop gets a wipe down for the explosives sniffer, or a power-on check, and that's it.

If checked luggage is opened, and it's clear what a device is, and it's not restricted, at MOST it will get a wipe-down for the sniffer, or an x-ray, to make sure it doesn't contain explosives. The biggest headache for the TSA is people who insist on wrapping gifts, then checking them. TSA will open the wrapping.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz
Loading thread data ...

My wife is a baggage claims supervisor for a major airline and these are how they explain it to folks.

ALL luggage is searched. So checked luggage must unlocked during the entire journey. The airline have a disclaimer that they are NOT responsible for any electronic devices (plus a lot of other things) so if it goes missing you're out of luck.

So put it in your carry on and make sure it gets there.

Ditto diapers, life sustaining meds, baby food, that priceless family jewelry, the $2000 camera, etc... You'd wouldn't believe...

Reply to
David Ross

How to they handle luggage with hand guns in it. A hand gun must be in your luggage that is checked in, not carried on. Do they lock it after they check it?

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

I think for guns you have to make special arrangements and have paperwork to go with it.

Reply to
David Ross

I have Comcast and Optimum online in my two homes and when I drive from to the other, I take the modem with me and just plugi it in. This year I am flying and I wonder what will happen if I put the cable mode in my luggage. What with the security checks I wouldn't be surprised if it were confiscated.

Any experiences?

Lenster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You know you've been on the computer too long when... You start double clicking the TV remote!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

Reply to
Lenster

Box it up, and send it by FedEx, UPS, DHL or Parcel Post.

Reply to
Warren

I should probably call them, and get an update on the proper procedure before making a scene! It used to be, you would just walk up to the luggage check-in counter, and tell them. It had to be unloaded of course, and in a locked box. You would show it to them, they would check your registration, and that was it. I know it's still legal to do so, but they may handle things differently these days.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Crocker

If it's valuable, you can't carry it on or you can live without it, this is always best. The airlines are not in the consumer freight business.

Just an FYI. Those bar codes they put on checked baggage are just to show from the to. There is NO tracking information on those tags. If you luggage turns up missing the system is designed such that when someone finds it they enter it into the system and a match to a missing bag report is attempted. I repeat there is no "tracking" like Fed Ex gives you.

Reply to
David Ross

| I have Comcast and Optimum online in my two homes and when I drive | from to the other, I take the modem with me and just plugi it in. This | year I am flying and I wonder what will happen if I put the cable mode | in my luggage. What with the security checks I wouldn't be surprised | if it were confiscated. | | Any experiences? | | Lenster | |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | You know you've been on the computer too long when... | You start double clicking the TV remote! |

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | | Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

Why would you even assume it could be a problem ?

Reply to
David H. Lipman

By the way... You cannot carry on DVD's of the following movies: "Istar", "Waterworld", "Gigli", "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" and "Dude, Where's My Car", among others. If you're bringing a cable set-top box with DVR you might need to demonstrate that those movies aren't recorded.

The rules change frequently.

Reply to
Warren

Before 9/11 and nitrogen trace swabbing, you had to plug in most electronic devices and "show them working".

These days the rules of what you can and can't do and how to do it changes every 6 to 12 months. Asking is a VERY good thing to prevent unpleasant surprises at the airport or worse, the destination.

Reply to
David Ross

The OP asked about taking a cable modem in carry on baggage for domestic travel. In my experience, there is no problem carrying electronics onboard. In addition to the typical array of computer, cell phone, pager, PDA, chargers and cables; I've taken circuit boards, emulators and wire wrap tools. The wire wrap tool once got a call to the supervisor, but he decided it was okay since it didn't have a blade.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Thank you for understanding that my questiion was not entirely stupid! Lenster

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You know you've been on the computer too long when... You start double clicking the TV remote!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove YourNightgown to reply by email

Reply to
Lenster

What about "Howard the Duck?"

-Gary

P.S. Another name for "Waterworld" is "Fishtar."

Reply to
Gary

We can all joke here but if you're smart you'll never ever joke about luggage, carry ons, etc... to anyone at an airport. It can really ruin your day to spend it in detention while it is verified that you really were joking. And after that the least of you hassles might be that you'll now likely be on the TSA watch list.

Reply to
David Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.