Cable Modem

If i split the cable modem signal would this effect the speeds of my internet?

TIA

ALi

Reply to
sexyali
Loading thread data ...

Not if the resultant signal is adequate for the modem. Read the modem's received signal strength before and after the split.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

thanks

Reply to
sexyali

Short answer: it depends.

After the split, if you still have enough signal strength at the modem, and the additional devices you're connecting aren't feeding a bunch of noise back into the cable, you should be fine. Modems either work or they don't. They don't get faster or slower with varying signal strength.

OTOH, if after the split your signal strength at the modem is too weak to maintain a connection, then you may not be able to connect at all or you may not be able to stay connected. If you can't stay connected, I'd say your speeds are affected.

Depending on your modem, there may be a web page at http:192.168.100.1 that will tell you your current downstream signal level. Subtract about 3.5 from that and see if you'll still be in the range of -15 to

+15, and ideally not near one of those ragged edges.

While you're looking at the modem's signal strength, if you can, look also for the downstream signal to noise ratio and the upstream signal strength. If you find that you have connection problems later, we'll want to know what those values are.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.