cable modem

I tried plugging my desktop into my cable modem by USB and my laptop in thru the Ethernet cable. However, it only allows one of my PCs net access. Any ideas why?

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

Go out and buy a Netgear or Linksys G router with a 4-port switch. Usually can find one on sale for $30 and $40 resp. (may involve a rebate). Don't bother with trying to use the USB port on it. You could try using the desktop temporarily via ICS as a gateway for the laptop, but I wouldn't - the router gives you a lot more flexibility and safety.

Reply to
$Bill

First, the modem itself may only support one port at a time.

Second, even if it allowed both at the same time, most cable companies only allow one IP address at a time, at least not without an extra fee.

As others posted, get a basic broadband router. They are cheap and usually include at least a 4-port switch.

Finally, unless it's USB2 HiSpeed (not to be confused with USB2 FullSpeed, which is the old USB1 HiSpeed), you may not be able to get the full bandwidth out of it anyways.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You're in luck this week:

Office Depot has a Linksys WRT54GC for $20 and no rebate !!!!!!!

Reply to
$Bill

They're probably going to be hard to find though - they're out online, but you may find on locally.

Staples had a similar deal with rebate (rebate may end today or soon - not sure).

If you don't find a deal today, there will be other decent deals next week most likely.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.