BEFSR11 cable router

We've just taken over a business with a cable. Our ISP sent us a new modem as the old one couldn't reach the speeds we required. The modem arrived with instructions including our new and old modem IP adresses. We have a BEFSR11 cable router.

How can I get the router to point to the new modem's IP. I can't communicate with the router as someone has changed the password.

Any clues on how to change this over?

Dean

Reply to
bodger
Loading thread data ...

Use the reset button on the back of the router. It will bring it back to the factory default password.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

But you have to hold it in for several seconds to a accomplish a full reset.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Will it automatically find the new modem? Is there anything I am going to have to manually set?

Dean

Reply to
bodger

It's more a question of the modem finding the router. The usual procedure is: remove poser from both the modem and router, wait 15-30 seconds. apply power to the modem and wait for it ti sync up, apply power to the router.

You should be able to contact the router's setup page by pointing your browser to . If the reset was successful, the default password will work.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Hopefully you ignored the advice to do a full reset since that will reset _everything_ in the router, not just the password. Since this is part of a business you've apparently just taken over, you could be looking at a potential network outage by wiping out the stored configuration.

A simple power cycle will likely take care of the problem. As Tom said, power down both the router and the modem, let them rest a bit, then power up the modem and let it sync, followed by powering up the router. You should be good to go at that point.

Reply to
Bill M.

What he said.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Bill M. wrote:

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

OK I'll give that a try, thanks.

Dean

Reply to
bodger

OK, I tried this and I still can't use the new modem. All the literature I have read says my ip address should be 192.169.1.1 but my router address is

Dean

Reply to
bodger

I think you must have misread the literature or mistyped the address;

192.169.1.1 is not in the range of private addresses used but NAT routers. 192.168.247.1 is valid and may be the way the previous owner set up the LAN. Where (from what) are you reading the 192.168.247.1 address?
Reply to
Tom Stiller

Sorry, that should have been 192.168.1.1

If I'm on a PC on the network and run ipconfig from the dos prompt,

default gateway is 192.168.247.1

Dean

Reply to
bodger

[snip]

What happens when you use as the URL address in your browser?

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I get asked for username and password. Its not the default settings

Reply to
bodger

OK, you got to the router's setup page and if the factory default username and password don't work, you'll have to get the info from whomever set it up or perform the hard reset and set up the configuration yourself.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Thats what I was afraid of. We have no way of finding out who did it.

Reply to
bodger

It's not all that complicated. Once the hard reset is performed, you'll have to contact the Linksys at 192.168.1.1, using a network address of

192.168.1.0. You know that he set the Linksys IP address to 192.168.247.1 so you'll probably want to do the same thing. At that point, you'll lose connectivity and you'll have to reestablish it using a network address of 192.168.247.0 and contacting the Linksys at 192.168.247.1. If you're using Windows systems, i can't say what all is involved in changing the network address; for a Mac, just make the change in the Network System Preference panel and click "Apply".

Good luck.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

address in

Thanks, we're mainly Mac

Reply to
bodger

I'd go around the office and check to see how the various computers, printers, etc... have their IP setup. DHCP or Manual. If DHCP, then you can get an idea of the range. The biggest issue might be printers if their are setup on the various computers based on their IP address.

Do you have any servers? Or anything where port forwarding is done from the outside to specific computers inside the office.?

Reply to
DLR

They are setup DHCP. No servers and no port forwarding

Reply to
bodger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.