Balt: Cmcst to raise downstream to 6MB...

The splash-screen that welcomes me to my DVR appliance tells me that Comcast will raise the downstream speed to 6MB. Also, for an extra $10/month, they'll raise to you 8MB per month.

I didn't see any notice about this in my comcast email account, nor have I seen any posting around here, on the subject.

Anyone else been contacted on this, or seen any email? I power-cycled my modem to see if it was awaiting a new config file, but I'm still getting

4100/360.

It seems unreal - where I work, we have a 6MB ATM ckt that serves *300* people; what would one person, or even an entire household do with 6MB??

-alex

Reply to
Alex Batson
Loading thread data ...

Everything you do now, only much faster! Have you ever downloaded an entire CD, say for something like a new release of Linux? Do you ever watch streaming video? Do you play any on-line games? What about running Microsoft Windows Updates? All of these activities would benefit from higher download speeds!

Plus they are trying to position themselves to remain competitive when the Telco's run fiber optic cable to your home, and offer even faster service!

Bill Crocker

Reply to
Bill Crocker

Check out the Comcast forums, there is an announcment there.

formatting link
Only a few markets have been upgraded so far.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

At this point, increased downstream is not really a benefit. Increased upstream so we can all run servers will be the real newsworthy item (so we can get good upstream on our servers lol).

Reply to
Gruntbugger

I saw people talking about it in alt.online-service.comcast. Also check out

formatting link
I am in Philadelphia on the Gold Service ... this is what I am getting ... with a Linksys BEFCMU10 v3 Cable Modem and a Linksys RP31P2 Router (with Vonage).

Check out

formatting link
TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.2.1e DO NOT USE YOUR CONNECTION WHILE TEST IS RUNNING click START to begin Preparing Speedtest . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done running 10s outbound test (upload) . . . . . 705.60Kb/s running 10s inbound test (download) . . . . . . 8.25Mb/s

Your speed is 150.13 times faster than 56Kb dialup

I pay for Gold for the upstream because I have 2 phone lines with Vonage.

You will have to you power everything down and waited a minute before turning everything back on.

Reply to
riggor99999

Here is the rollout schedule ....

formatting link

Reply to
riggor99999

Upstream uses a smaller available bandwidth, (5-54MHz). It has to share this with cable box communications and others things, too. Downstream has a much larger bandwidth to work with (65-850MHz)

formatting link

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

That won't happen until they deploy DOCSIS 2, which generally requires replacing most of the head-end equipment in addition to the modems of the users to be upgraded. That costs a lot of money, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. :-)

-Larry Jones

Please tell me I'm adopted. -- Calvin

Reply to
lawrence.jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.