are all cable modems external?

You mentioned in another message that you're on Comcast. Note that the Zoom

5001 is not on the list of approved modems for Comcast.
Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

If you want to go the zoom 5001 route like me, rather than external...

Here are some review links I've found:

formatting link
(a thread I started)
formatting link
?mid_key=0&mid=1&sortorder=
formatting link
In terms of firewalles, it depends on if you're using windows or Linux.

If you're using windows, you can get a firewall like black ice or zone alarm, and have it filter traffic for all traffic on the modem. If you're using Linux you usually make (read: code in a script) a firewall based on iptables, assuming you have your kernel and sysctrl.conf configured correctly.

A firewall is not always a physical box between a computer and "the net", sometimes, in the case of internal modems, a firewall is configured in the software.

If you get one, please share your experiences.

Cheers, David

Jen wrote:

Reply to
David

If you're running a software-based firewall on the same machine you're trying to protect, it's like locking the bedroom door while leaving the house's door to the outside unlocked. You may protect the stuff in the bedroom, but they've made it into the house.

While most people don't have systems that need real, heavy-duty firewalls, a software firewall is simply a joke. This is especially true when a NAT router will provide better protection for about the same, and sometimes lower cost than software firewalls.

Reply to
Warren

Of course a "hardware" firewall is really a dedicated box running software. But you're taking that paragraph out of the context of the message. The context is that "software" firewall means software running on the same box it's trying to protect, and "hardware" firewall means a separate piece of hardware from the one being protected. Whether that separate box is a single purpose microprocessor, or a microprocessor controlled by special purpose software is not germane to the discussion. If you wish it to be, then put my comment back into the context that was clearly intended prior to your editing.

Any time you're running a software on the same box that you're trying to protect, you're letting the attackers in. The packets still go past the interface on the NIC, onto the bus used by the NIC (usually the PCI bus), and then has to get the attention of the software running on the same OS that is running other software. Depending on the OS and the software being run, there is a vulnerability that exists here that does not exist with a hardware firewall, even if that "hardware" firewall is simply a *nix box running the same firewall software.

As I said, a software firewall (running on the same box you're trying to protect) is like locking an interior door to protect your house. It makes more sense to keep people out of the house in the first place.

Reply to
Warren

I looked up the installation guide for the Zoom 5001, and it sounds a

lot like what I'm looking for. But a couple questions still - 1) have

you found any websites for user feedback on this? and 2) if a

firewall/router typically goes BETWEEN the computer and the modem, how

would this work with the modem built in?

Thanks for your help > No, not ALL cable modems are external. I'm trying to find one that's

internal (I'm looking at the Zoom 5001) that also works with linux. > The zoom 5001 is DOCSIS 1.0 out of the box and can(I've heard) be > upgraded to DOCSIS 1.1. > > If you want to set it up in a computer you have to enable ip > forwarding, > probably NAT, and possibly a firewall and dhcp. This is why most plp > go > with external boxes - simplicity. That and the fact that external > boxes > seem to be the only thing supported by most cable providers. > > Fitting the internal cable modem in a SFF case like a shuttle along > with > other NIC's is (theoretically) doable assuming you have enough PCI > slots. > > Good luck with this, I'm having a hard time figuring it out as well, > > Cheers, > David > > Jen wrote:- > I'm new to cable internet access and am researching Modems. From > these > discussions, the Motorola SURFboard 5100 modem seems pretty hot, and > Linksys seems to be good for its routers. I'm trying to keep my > total > footprint very small (cute little Shuttle XPC), and wondered if there > even was such a thing as an internal cable modem, just as there is > for > dial-up access. > > Also, I need firewall hardware, not just the firewall software. Do I > need to buy a modem and router (only one PC needs access at a time) > and > a firewall all separately, or are any of these manufactured in a > combined product? > > -
Reply to
Jen

I think you'll find "hardware" firewalls are simply dedicated computers, running software, often Linux or Unix. Also, my firewall is an old PC, running Linux. Are you saying that IPTables on Linux is a joke?

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.