Anyone managed to uncap his modem here?

Greetings from Croatia.

Reply to
Dario Sabo
Loading thread data ...

Why, do you fancy losing your broadband service?

Reply to
phoenix

Reply to
Dario Sabo

Sure, and posting in a public newsgroup is the best way to do that.

Uh huh.

mady

Reply to
mady

The short answer is, NO.

Reply to
BR

No, it's not possible as your ISP monitors all the traffic an their network. I do know of a couple of users on my old Cable ISP did uncap their modems and were caught very quickly and lost their connections.

It's not worth the effort. Don't forget, if it's worth stealing then it's worth paying for it. ;-)

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

Well, being that he is in Croatia (or at least the NNTP Posting Host says he is), it is probably not illegal there. Eastern Europe is one of those places known for having the loosest computer crime laws around. So in, short, what he is attempting to do is probably legal in Croatia.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Wow, you're responding to a message from Feb 2006! I think the guy has probably moved on to other things by now and probably isn't patiently waiting for further replies to his thread.

Reply to
Bill M.

Well, my DSL provider uses a new services that archives posts all the way back to 2003 (if the poster has not set an X-No-Archive for them)

Reply to
Charles Newman

That's nice, but even OE should be able to tell you that you're responding to an 18 month old post. I know it's bad, but surely it can't be that bad.

Reply to
Bill M.
*-* On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:05:01 -0700, *-* In Article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, *-* Charles Newman wrote *-* About Re: Anyone managed to uncap his modem here?

[ ... ]

Presumably you're referring to Supernews? My cable provider also uses a news service (Giganews) that retains (not archives) posts for about four years. Just because you can *SEE* those ancient posts doesn't mean that you have to resurrect them.

I suspect that with Supernews (as with most (if not all) conventional news providers) what you're seeing is normal retention, not archiving, in which case an X-No-Archive directive is as useless as t*ts on a bull. X-No-Archive will, however, be honored by Google and other (if there are any such) services whose primary function is archiving news posts.

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152 InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Reply to
Ken Whiton

Giganews does not seem to ever get rid of thier news archives. When I was on Comcast, that is what we had. The only difference between Giganews and Supernews is that Supernews does not appear to retain anything with X-No-Archive set to yes. Comparing between Giganews and Supernews, before I had the cable modem service turned off, I could see a lot of stuff on Giganews with X No Archive turned on that did not appear in Supernews.

X-No-Archive used to be exlcusive to Google. I guess other sites with longer rententions are using that now.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Of course they do. They just have some of the longest retention in the industry, but they don't maintain an archive at all.

"exclusive to Google"?? I'm sorry, but this looks like another one of those "you need ICS in order to do file and printer sharing" statements. In other words, not only completely false, but so false that one wonders how you even got there. :)

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.