Anyone else having Comcast problems?

Chicago area and have been having problems the last three days. Just the power and data lights are lit when it is down & out. Do don't anything and it comes back (cable & activity lights active) but then goes out again *ugh*

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Reply to
Ozzy Kopec
Loading thread data ...

No, but then I'm not on Comcast. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Actually, I've found my ISP tends to provide good service. Failures are extremely rare and I get good performance. Also, my IP is virtually static and I've also got a host name that's consistent.

Reply to
James Knott

In the NW burbs and all has been fine.

Reply to
Rob -- invalid

Rule #1: ALL Cable Internet providers suck.

Rule #2: See rule #1.

I've reported more times than I can count and or recall about a problem with Optimum Off-Line (first of November 2004 was the enslaught of this particular issue) and they have done nothing.

Report your problem to Comcast. If your lucky, they'll give you a day's credit or maybe two. Fix the problem though? Nah! The cable companies work on the philosophy that time heals all wounds. In otherwords, you, the customer, will get tired and stop persuing it and in their eyes, the problem has fixed itself.

Oh, and by the way, f*ck you Cablevision/Optimum Off-line for allowing a problem to go unaddressed for 7+ months.

Reply to
VAXman-

Speak for yourself.

Roadrunner NYC has given me virtually no trouble at all for more than

3 years now. I consistently get 5000 / 384 throughput, even at peak hours.

It's important to remember that cable service differs dramatically by region and provider.

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

Gee I thought that was just what he was doing. All is fine until it happens to you. I pay $107.00 for total crap. Now I want everyone to know I am only speaking for myself here. I don't even see where this tread concerns those that are NOT having problems. I hear all the good stuff I need from their LOUD commercials. But that is another post isn't it

Reply to
John

With statements like "[ALL] Cable Internet providers suck"???

Sounds a little all inclusive to me...

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

When he says " ALL Cable Internet providers suck.", he's inviting challenge, by those with other experiences. Now in my case, I have excellent service, (5 Mb down /800K up) for $40.50 /month ($CDN or about $32.30 U.S.).

Reply to
James Knott

No problems here, either.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

As a matter of fact as of 13:06 CST looks like Comcast.net is down. No mail either. Traceroute fails

Reply to
Jbob

No, no one else is having problems...only you.

(just kidding).

Many problems with outages over the years. They finally got the line people to fix what their serviceman called a "suckout" in the line...essentially cold solder joints at junction boxes. He tested the signal while wiggling the line on the pole and noticed vast differences in signal strength. It took years of bitching to get it fixed. The difference was that this serviceman was diligent and took the time to look beyond the most basic areas. That was the luck of the draw. It could have been fixed the first time or never fixed.

Reply to
MacKenzieMouse

$107 for Cable TV and ISP. Lately TV signal has been piss poor most of the time and slow internet connection. I had previously considered Verizon DSL and might have to make a change.

J.

Reply to
John

Just once or month after month? Most of us have had months where we may not have felt we'd gotten our money's worth, but if you're paying over $100 for crap every month, it might be time to reassess things.

Reply to
Bill G

I run Linux on 3 of my computers, including firewall and OS/2 on the 4th. I also have vpn and ssh access through my firewall, which means that the virtually static address and consistent host name come in handy. Also, many years ago, I used to maintain and repair VAX 11/780 computers, among others.

Reply to
James Knott

I don't believe Cablevision will accept my payment in Canadian dollars so what's the point?

You've been mind-numbed with PeeCee/Micro$oft service. It works perfectly fine as long as you have no higher quality expectations upon which to base your statistical observations of one.

Reply to
VAXman-

Suckouts have nothing to do with cold solder joints (or any soldered connections for that matter). A suckout occurs when the center conductor pulls out (sucks out) of a connector. Not uncommon in winter when the metal contracts due to the cold temps, although they are not limited to the cold. Loose or otherwise improperly connectorized cables can have that problem. Lower frequencies are affected the most, and if there is A.C. on the line, the A.C. (or D.C.) does not pass through. Thus, an outage.

CIAO!

Ed N.

Reply to
Ed Nielsen

FWIW, you do not need to use Comcast preferred DNS nameservers. Many simply changed from Comcast DNS and never had any more issues. YMMV Any of these should work in a pinch or more permanent:

Verizon (Level3) Nameservers

4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2.4 4.2.2.5 4.2.2.6

SpeakEasy Nameservers

66.93.87.2 216.231.41.2 216.254.95.2 64.81.45.2 64.81.111.2 64.81.127.2 64.81.79.2 64.81.159.2 66.92.64.2 66.92.224.2 66.92.159.2 64.81.79.2 64.81.159.2 64.81.127.2 64.81.45.2 216.27.175.2 66.92.159.2 66.93.87.2

ORSC Public Access DNS Nameservers

199.166.24.253 199.166.27.253 199.166.28.10 199.166.29.3 199.166.31.3 195.117.6.25 204.57.55.100

Sprintlink General DNS

204.117.214.10 199.2.252.10 204.97.212.10

Cisco

128.107.241.185 192.135.250.69
Reply to
Jbob

Reply to
Jim T.

He's most likely an sbc or verizon fanatic. Ive had sbc fans tell me their

768k dsl is far superior to my 6.6mb cable connection. (and my pings are pretty good too.) "You share your connection" Well, duhh.. and with a properly mantained system that should never be an issue.. And it hasn't been an issue ever in the years ive had cable internet (since like 98-99 w/mediaone.)

Right.... Stay with dsl.. More bandwidth for me... :)

Reply to
Danska

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.