Any Experiences - - Good or Bad - - with Linksys BEFCMU10 Ver 3?

Okay. Let's go over this one more time.

You presented a set of symptoms. The experts, including people who deal with these things for a living, took what you told us all, and gave you a diagnosis.

You apparently didn't like that diagnosis, and represented only some of the symptoms, and reframed them differently. Yet you still got the same diagnosis from the experts.

You still didn't like what you were being told, and argued that it had to be something else -- the modem. As I recall, you even ignored all your problems, and told us about all the reasons why you wanted to buy the modem.

What you were told was that if you want to go ahead and buy the modem, go ahead and buy the modem. But it had nothing to do with any of the symptoms of your problem.

You went out and bought the modem. And the day you swapped the modem, things started working again.

You never checked to see if the old modem would work after the symptoms went away.

There never was a single indication that the problem you were experiencing was because of a problem with the modem. Every indication was that it was a line problem.

Cable companies have crews out every day fixing problems. I don't remember if you made a trouble report or not, but certainly someone else in the neighborhood could have, or diagnostics build into the network may have flagged the problem.

Is it a long shot that they fixed the problem at the same time you got a new modem? Yes. Sure it is. But given that there was never a single indication that your modem had anything wrong with it, it's an even longer shot that replacing the modem is what resolved the issue.

The facts, when they are ALL considered, point towards the conclusion that the cable company fixed the issue. The facts when you IGNORE everything except for the single, isolated fact that you changed the cable modem would seem to suggest that the cable modem had been the problem.

But the only way we can accept the conclusion that the cable modem was the problem is if we ignore all the other facts. In the real world, we can't do that. You can't unpost all the symptoms that pointed towards a line problem. You can't go back in time and change the symptoms to indicate modem problems. The facts remain what they always were: There was never any indication that your modem was the problem, and every indication that the problem was a line problem.

So it's bizarre to believe that we can change the time-space continuum to make it logical that the modem was the issue all the while. It's bizarre to believe that replacing the modem was anything more than a coincidental event. And given your investment in believing that this one coincidental event trumped all the other facts, of course it was in your ego's best interest to not even take the step of retesting with the old modem to see if it worked after they fixed the line problem.

What would be surprising is if anyone jumped on your bandwagon, and decided that your one isolated event trumps the whole picture. The only way you can convince people that the problem was logically the modem is if you can go back in time, and un-post all the symptoms you posted that indicated it wasn't.

But you still don't get it, do you? You still think that you can unring the bell, and base your entire conclusion on one irrelevant coincidence.

Yes, it is a long shot that they fixed the problem at the same time you swapped the modem. But it simply wasn't possible that swapping the modem is what fixed the problem. A long shot is still a better bet than an impossibility -- except apparently in your bizarre world.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

Did you bother to reconnect the old CM to verify that the problem returned? If not, then YOU are just guessing.

Reply to
Bill M.

Mine only has two pages, "Modem" and "Connect". At least that is all that is accessible directly. Maybe there are some hidden pages I don't know about.

The "Modem" page has version and serial numbers, and the MAC address. The "Connect" page has connection status, downstream channel status, and upstream channel status. There is no log.

I think the ISP has the ability to download firmware to your modem, which might affect what it shows. My firmware version is 1.1.2.0.3.

Gregg

Reply to
GB

You are right, kind of. I never bothered to try the SB5100 again, as I firmly believe If it aint broke, don't fix it. Still, it is really BIZARRE logic to say that if the problem disappears at the exact instant that the cable modem is replaced, then the problem must have been somewhere other than the cable modem. So it's suprising to see so many people jumping on that illogical bandwagon. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

I have a rented Terayon and there are indeed hidden pages, so that wouldn't be beyond belief.

Reply to
$Bill

That would make too much sense.. otoh if the trouble was outside it's possible that the old modem may be better than the new modem.

Reply to
geo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.