AMBIT U10C018 Not holding password change

Greetings!

I just has Charter replace my Ambit U100C018.80 with the same exact model due to network problems. The new moodem works great, but I am looking to change the default password from "user" to something a little less um... defaut :-)

I login to the router using the default user/user user/pass combo. I then go to Tools and then Password and fill in "user" as the old password, and then for example's sake make my new password "HappyNY2009". The router then comes back with "STATUS: Changes Accepted (Password Changed)'. I try to login to the router again but the new password did not save apparently... I still have to user user/ user to get in. Why isn't the modem recording the new password?

Best,

- gw

Reply to
gritswantd
Loading thread data ...

OK, according to Charter tech support, the Ambit modems are set to always have the user/user username/password combo so the moron techs can login and troubleshoot whatever problems you may be having. I don't agree with the fact that we can't change this setting, but I guess there's not much else I can do beyond tightening up the security on our access point.

Just thought I'd share... anyone have any other suggestions or more importantly, feedback on this decision by Charter?

Best

=3D gw

Reply to
gritswantd

Sounds logical to me - now if it were a router we were talking about, it would be a whole nuther subject. Basically, they own your modem firmware - the best you can hope for is access to the status pages.

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.