Adelphia cable modem

There are lots of reasons that you might not be able to connect to the Internet. The very first step of troubleshooting isn't discovering what it is, but where it is.

Is the modem loosing sync? Or does the modem remain online while the computer is unable to connect? That's the big question right now. The modem should be able to stay online even if there is no computer connected to it, or even if there is a broken computer connected to it. Think of it like dial-tone on the telephone. It doesn't matter if the person trying to make the call can speak English or not. It doesn't even matter if it's a person picking up the phone. If there's no dial-tone, a call can't be made. Teaching the person to speak English isn't going to help.

If your new SurfBoard modem has 3 or 4 solid green indicator lights when you loose connection, then the modem is not loosing sync. If it's cycling through a sequence of flashing lights, or if any of the green lights are flashing, it is probably loosing sync.

If your modem is loosing sync, then Adelphia is going to have to figure out why. It could be the cabling in your house. It could be the cabling anywhere between your house and their headend. But it's someplace before that cable screws into the back of the modem.

If the modem is not loosing sync, and your neighbors aren't also having problems, then it may be a problem with your computer. I highly doubt that it's the motherboard. I highly doubt that it would be anything related to hardware.

Whether the problem is in their network or your computer, the issue may take quite a bit of interactive troubleshooting to isolate it and fix it. but before anything more is done, it needs to be determined on which side of the modem the problem exists. Which side of the modem the problem exists on makes a major differerence in how the problem is addressed.

The 4 steps you've said have already been taken indicate that either people who should know what they're doing are idiots or simply don't care, or possibly that you had multiple problems. Perhaps there was a problem before the modem that has now been fixed, and they now can see there's another problem with your computer. But if there has only been one problem all the while, then they're missing that very important first step of identifying on which side of the modem the problem exists.

Reply to
Warren
Loading thread data ...

Hi:

We have had Adelphia cable for over two or three years now. We started

with the Com21 modem and now have the motorolo surfboard.

Starting this year sometime, we have had our modem go down constantly.

"Intermittent cable connection" problems I think they call it. When it

started it was just for a few minutes sometime but then it became more

frequent and the downtime got longer as time went on.

Now it happens for at least some period of time every night.

We have had the following done by Adelphia teks:

1) I switched to the surfboard modem thinking that perhaps we needed a

new modem. Problem persisted.

2) Adelphia then came out and replaced a piece of our cable that was

coming into the box. Problem persisted.

3) Adelphia then came out and replaced the entire cable line from the

pole to our cable box. Problem persisted.

4) A computer expert tech came out and checked the connection with my

computer. Took my computer apart, cleaned out the dust, replaced my

existing ethernet card with a new one, (just in case, he said),

checked the signals and all that. He said it seemed to be working

fine and if we continued to have problems then perhaps my computer

needed a new motherboard.

Well, the problem has persisted and it seems pointless now to call

them out anymore.

Regarding the motherboard, I am afraid that if I take the time &

money to change out my motherboard, and who knows what problems that

may cause since that could cause conflicts with some of my other

computer parts, that we will still be with this problem. I do not

believe it is my mother board. If it were, why is it that I am not

having problems with anything else on my computer? I think they have

run out of solutions and are now trying to blame my computer since

they have done everything else they can do.

I'd appreciate any thoughts suggestions or comments.

thanks,

Rae

:?:

Reply to
RAEKA

Everytime it goes out, note the signal levels in the modem, look at http://192.168.100.1/signal.htm Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio Power Level Upstream Power Level

What are your current values?

Reply to
Bit Twister

the first thing I would do is borrow a laptop or another desktop and see if you have the problem it could be as simple as reloading you operating system it could be a virus or a Trojan I don't think it is you motherboard It could be adelphia, check with your neighbors the ones that also have adelphia and see if they have problems.

Reply to
BigJim

I've had the same problem on and off for years now (I use a motorola sufrboard modem as well), and my father's office has been having the problem on and off for years now. I've had friends in my area also have the exact same problems.

Calling Adelphia is a pointless waste of time because they are clueless and refuse to accept that they may have a problem on their end.

I've swapped out everything at my location and at my father's office with different modems, routers, NIC cards, PC's, cables, etc. and nothing makes a difference. The cable modem will show green lights accross the board (which makes Adelphia think everything is hunky dory), but the router (or your PC if connected directly) will not aquire a new IP address no matter how many time you try and renew it.

This is a problem happening all over the country on Adelphia systems. I'm in WV but have heard stories out of CA with people having the EXACT same problem.

IMHO it has to be an issue with how Adelphia is dynamically assigning the IP addresses, but in any event the problem is probably not on your end. I'd venture to say that it is a 99% probability that it is not on your end.

I wish there was some advice I could offer, other than just hound the crap out of Adelphia and hope the wake up to the problem.

------------------------------------- RAEKA wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.modems.cable - 3817 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Mntneer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.