Accessing Internal Diagnostic Pages for SB5100

I don't have one, but I believe it's : http://192.168.100.1/

Reply to
$Bill
Loading thread data ...

Can anyone provide me with the IP address to access the internal

diagnostic pages of the SB5100 Cable Modem? Also, are there any

articles, tutorials, etc., regarding same? Thank you!

Reply to
Brokenstick

That is correct. When you connect, look at the Help screens for descriptions of what you see. Good luck.

Reply to
Art Jackson

The config files that most cable companies tftp to the cablemodem will disable the ability of the user to make any changes to the modem's configuration. Unless you have armatures running the system, you shouldn't be able to do anything other than reset the cablemodem to factory settings -- in which case a new config file will simply once again be tftp'ed to the modem.

I'd suggest that if you can make more changes than that, your cable company doesn't know what they're doing, and they had better hire someone who know what they're doing, or prepare for chaos to break out on the system.

Reply to
Warren

I have very bad memories with that page when I was newbie on cable modems. Stay away from undocumented configuration page for instance.

E.g. I seen "North America" setup as my configuration, I said to myself "aww, morons" and switched to Europe PAL. Result: 2 days of rebooting cable modem until ISP tech had to come my house. *g*

Just warning :) oh, the page is useful of course, the documented pages. Just stay away from undocumented ones, e.g. changing values unless your ISP says so.

That modem is new model of my sb3100, great choice BTW. This thing here runs for 3 years or more, non stop :) Oh, except the torture which I did myself. Thats why I alerted.

Have a nice day

Ilgaz Ocal

Reply to
Ilgaz Ocal

I am using a paid, commercial system to access usenet while I only care about text content.

Could give a clue about their quality! :) Yes, they actually allowed me changing those values to anything and I thought Europe frequency plan was the thing to do.

And speaking about chaos, I watch my firewall log when I am bored ;)

I just wish firmware updates etc were a part of DOCSIS standard and e.g. cable modems could update themselves from Motorola server etc. Many FAQ's say its ISP which can update modem firmware.

Well, its working now anyway and not playing with it since the ISP which I will contact when I do something wrong would be knowing less than me :)

Have a nice day, thanks btw, I was really wondering how the heck I was allowed to do such a freaky change.

Ilgaz Ocal

Reply to
Ilgaz Ocal

Firmware updates are part of DOCSIS. The updates are pushed from the ISP's servers, not the modem vendors. Most, if not all, ISPs will want to test firmware in the lab before they release it to the field. That way they know that it works in their system. It's a similar reason to why ISPs only let approved modems on their systems and not just any DOCSIS modem.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.