Acceptable signal strength?

Hi,

I seem to have periodic outages with Comcast Internet. I looked at the signal level while it was happening. Are the following vlaues alarming?

SNR: 26.7dB Power level: 52.9dBmV Received signal strenghtl: -19.5 dBmV

Reply to
frank
Loading thread data ...

Low - typically in the 30-40 dB range (also depends on chipset QPSK/QAM)

High - shouting a bit.

Low - should normally be in the -15 to +15 range (-12 to +12 better - 0 optimal)

I'd have them make a call.

Reply to
$Bill

Your upstream power level is pretty high. I generally start seeing flakey performance and packet loss issues when mine's been over 50. Mine's at 45dBmV right now.

Your SNR seems a little low. Mine's at 34dB fwiw.

Your received signal strength seems low as well. Mine's at -8dBmV right now.

Try this at the DOS prompt or Terminal prompt:

ping -t

formatting link

Let it run for a minute or so and hit Ctrl-c.

Look at the (% loss) number towards the end. I bet yours it pretty substantial. If you mention this packet loss number to the customer service agent sometimes it can help your case to get a technician out there to look at the lines. It can be as simple as a cable bent in too tight an angle in the wall or on the floor, or a connection that needed to be taken apart and put back together, or replacing a standard splitter with a directional coupler, or reterminating some cables with new ends, or several other things that might restore things to happiness.

But overall, yeah, your signal is iffy enough and your results with it inconsistent enough that you shouldn't have to live with it. Make em roll a truck for ya.

Best Regards,

Reply to
Todd H.

Oh, I forgot to mention this loss number should be 0% ... maybe 1% tops. Any more than that, life really begins to suck. I'd suspect with your numbers you might be seeing a handful of percent loss, and I bet when it rains or when it's humid you might be having more problems than when it's dry out?

If you mention this packet loss number to the customer

Reply to
Todd H.

Hi,

Currently (with the same signal numbers) my >

Reply to
frank

Groovy. You may just be on a bit of a hairy edge. Next time your connection appears to get flakey, repeat the ping test. I know I've had experiences in the past where I'd have intermittent degradations due to weather and such, and things would go to crap with very subtle changes in the signal numbers.

For example, at 52dBmV upstream, life could be okay on a dry day, lousy on a wet day.

I'd wait for a crappy day to call the cable company so they can have something specific like packet loss to hang their hat on for a justification for a truck roll.

Good luck!

Reply to
Todd H.

Just for reference, what are your advertised up/down speeds (should be available where your Tx/Rx/SNR were) ?

And what do you get from a speedtest ?

formatting link
Eg: My advertised is 6144/512 (D/L from modem) and right now I'm getting

5635/299 from broadbandreports. And my Tx/Rx/SNR: Tx Power 50.0 dBmV (slightly on the high side) Rx Power -4.1 dBmV (good) Downstream SNR 36.3 dB (good)
Reply to
$Bill

I have the feeling there are two issues:

1.) the signal 2.) some other issue on the network when my connectivity is bad.

It is difficult to explain 2.) to the support since it happens only so often.

BTW: my speedtest.net numbers: 6302/989 (with similar signal strenght)

Reply to
frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.