3Com CMX 2940 remove it?

I have had a 3Com CMX 2940 cable modem since back in the @Home days and it still seems to be working except I keep getting these temporary stopping of data transfers when there is to many connections going. Not sure if it's the modem, however I know it's considered pretty old as far as cable modems go. I also can not find any of the firmware upgrades on the net but may not be software based. Should I replace this one or is it still adequate assuming the before mentioned issue is not related? If I should replace it, any suggestions assuming there is much of a difference between models?

Thanks.

JR

Reply to
JR
Loading thread data ...

Firmware updates have to be done by the system operator, not the end user.

3Com stopped making cablemodems about six years ago, and haven't provided any support to the system operators for them for about as long. But even if they did, your modem is an old DOCSIS 1.0 modem, and cannot be updated to work with all the network features, such as the newer higher speeds and Powerboost.

It's time to get a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. For example, the Motorola SB5120.

Reply to
Warren

Thank you Warren. My new SB5120 is on it's way. (:

Gotta love the fast free holiday shipping from Amazon.

Now hopefully the switch over to this new modem will be just as painless with Comcast as purchasing it was.

JR

Warren wrote:

Reply to
JR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.