Zwave does not broadcast status messages

From the ELK-M1XZW Z-wave interface module:

"Based on the current generation Z-Wave protocol, Z-Wave Transceivers (Devices) cannot broadcast or send status update changes back to any handheld or automation controller with the exception of a confirmation reply to a controller that just issued a command to change. Equally important, if a device (light switch, etc.) is manually operated it does not broadcast any status change at all. The obvious issues are that automation interfaces such as the Elk-M1XZW, including Elk Keypads, and Elk's Virtual Keypad software cannot remain in sync with the true state of Z-Wave devices if their state is not broadcast or available. This is not unique to Elk. Other manufacturers of ZWave controllers face the same dilemma. One might think that a periodic polling command for status would provide a solution. However, the poll intervals and the potential detrimental loading effect on the radio network is uncertain. Even with polling, there would still be a time lag during which displayed status would be out of sync. It is hoped that Z-Wave will some day add Status Broadcast to their protocol."

I haven't seen any discussion about this on the boards. Does anyone know if this will change soon?

Thanks

Reply to
meir410
Loading thread data ...

It already has. Intermatic says it's InTouch server provides 2-way, real-time status of every device in the network including legacy Z-wave devices. One of the things I like about dealing with ELK is they actually respond to requests for product enhancements. "Ask and ye shall receive," sayeth Wade Moose.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Does the Intermatic server interface with the Elk serial interface? Can you explain what parts are involved?

Thanks

Reply to
meir410

Reply to
Dave Houston

I haven't checked on that yet. I can ask about it ELK tomorrow if you like. If they don't now, I'm sure they can. Also, if the Intermatic "InTouch" server can send/receive standard ASCII it should be easy to roll your own for the ELK system.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.