Yard Lighting

Yes, perfectly. The 500W number is the maximum allowable load. If you ran at that level the switch would get warm and maybe not live very long. There is also a minimum for reliable operation which is not given, AFAIK, but 100W is sure to be a nice easy load that any switch can control reliably.

Reply to
George Pontis
Loading thread data ...

I plan to put X-10 WS467 Wall Switches on my outside yard Flood lights. The switches are rated for 500w incandescent. I just realized that the flood lights are 100w halogen outdoor flood lights. Will these switches work with these bulbs?

Reply to
Donald Morley

Yes, the halogen lamp is just a special type of incandescent with higher efficiency. The dimmer can't distinguish the two.

There is a theoretical limitation to the lifetime of a halogen lamp when dimmed, but in practice I haven't found it noticeable. It is done all the time.

Reply to
George Pontis

Thanks, for the help. Will the dimmer feature of the switch work the same with the halogen flood light, as it would on an incandescent?

Reply to
Donald Morley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.