X10 .. Yes Or No? How good are the Cameras?

I really need a low level home survailance system. I was thinking of 2 of the motion detecting flood light color cam setups from x10. Plus a low light level B&W Xcam The XRay Software Maybe the home automation software

It looks like i could get the setup i want for between 280 and 380.

Please share your experiences with me on these products if you have time. I just dont want to blow the money if there is another option.

I like them being wireless obviously, but if it sucks then its obviously not worth it.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Jazzer
Loading thread data ...

Don't waste your time unless you really can't afford anything better. The quality is terrible, and the picture is nonexistant in low light, though I don't have experience with B&W. I had a lot of problems getting the wireless to work also. X10 uses CMOS cameras, and you need CCD for good enough resolution to actually be able to identify people. Varifocal lenses let you focus the camera on a specific location. If you are going to put in more than one camera, it is best if you set up one power source to supply low voltage power to all the cameras. I think you could run the power and video feed over the same cat5 cable this way. You need a BNC to twisted pair adapter for this. You could then connect the power supply for all the cameras to a UPS.

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

I had several for a year or so and they worked OK. Then they all stopped. Support from X10.com is absolutely zero. Couldn't even get a reply. Replace everything in the system, one component at a time and still didn't help. Wasted abouit $500 with this shit.

I ended up buying a camera and wireless transmitter from

formatting link
The camera has infrared LEDs that give it very good night vision. With the receiver, I used a Hauppage USB adapter. I got that at Bestbuy.com.

You can see it at

formatting link
Scroll to the bottom.

John

Reply to
Spectrum

Nice site, but I don't see much details about your video system. I'd be interested to know more about your house.

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.