X10 Signal Sucker Identified... Rally Scooter's Charger!

Hey Gang!

X10 stuff is intermittent; I know this.

Sometimes lights turn on for no (known) reason...

But X10 modules don't just stop, like mine did...

Some of my X10 modules were ignoring me!

They used to work...

So I tried to think of what I may have plugged in that is causing problems...

I use many UPSs around here: 8 in use right now... And they're known X10 signal suckers/blockers.

I have one older UPS that I thought was the problem so I went to Smart Home and bought a 15Amp plug-in filter. It solved that problem, which I later learned wasn't the UPS at all. It was a SONY 36" WEGA flat-screen CRT TV doing all the sucking...

Still filter that whole mess, but since replaced the TV.

I thought maybe it was a switching powersupply recently added... So I got another identical filter, and plugged a whole bunch of potentially problematic devices in through it...

Still my signals were blocked.

This can be seen at a glance when a 300' string of rope lights remains on 24/7...

To think I bought this stuff to SAVE energy...

Well yesterday I unplugged my (father's) power scooter, 'cause I was listing it on eBay. They had a 10-cent listing day...

formatting link
This morning I see the rope lights have indeed gone out.

Yippee!!

They're controllable once more!

And the scooter was on the same circuit, before the rope lights... Makes perfect pence...

Adding to the intermittancy is the fact that the scooter is only charged once in a while. Especially as nobody uses it anymore.

I'll bet some others in our home automation community may benefit by my discovery.

Hope this helps!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin
Loading thread data ...

Hey Gang!

X10 stuff is intermittent; I know this.

Sometimes lights turn on for no (known) reason...

But X10 modules don't just stop, like mine did...

Some of my X10 modules were ignoring me!

They used to work...

So I tried to think of what I may have plugged in that is causing problems...

I use many UPSs around here: 8 in use right now... And they're known X10 signal suckers/blockers.

I have one older UPS that I thought was the problem so I went to Smart Home and bought a 15Amp plug-in filter. It solved that problem, which I later learned wasn't the UPS at all. It was a SONY 36" WEGA flat-screen CRT TV doing all the sucking...

Still filter that whole mess, but since replaced the TV.

I thought maybe it was a switching powersupply recently added... So I got another identical filter, and plugged a whole bunch of potentially problematic devices in through it...

Still my signals were blocked.

This can be seen at a glance when a 300' string of rope lights remains on 24/7...

To think I bought this stuff to SAVE energy...

Well yesterday I unplugged my (father's) power scooter, 'cause I was listing it on eBay. They had a 10-cent listing day...

formatting link
This morning I see the rope lights have indeed gone out.

Yippee!!

They're controllable once more!

And the scooter was on the same circuit, before the rope lights... Makes perfect sense...

Adding to the intermittancy is the fact that the scooter is only charged once in a while. Especially as nobody uses it anymore.

I'll bet some others in our home automation community may benefit by my discovery.

Hope this helps!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.