X10 Mini Timer Model MT10A Schematic?

Reply to
John Fields
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
John Fields

Anybody out there have a schematic for this wonderbox?

I am particularly interested in the board that carries the dimple switches (front-panel controls). I want to interface relay closures with the unit to simulate manually turning ON/OFF several functions. I don't want to remove the dimple switches unless I absolutely must to trace the tracks that run under some of the switches.

Google drew a blank. Help?

Thanks-- Terry--WB4FXD Edenton, NC

Reply to
Terry

=>Tried X10?^)

Not yet. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give 'er a go! I have a feeling what the answer may be, however.

Cheers and thanks-- Terry--WB4FXD Edenton, NC

Reply to
Terry

=>Yeah, that was kinda tongue-in-cheek...

I saw that! :() )

I filed a request with them. Ya never know! I see exactly what needs to be done, but the tracks to the various switches I'm interested in (1-4) dive under the dimple-switch disc (halloween-clicker affair) and exit the other side--or maybe not! The only way to really tell is to remove the switch, and I don't want to do that. Ringing it out with an ohmmeter ain't the smartest thing either! El schemo would tell me in an instant! Oh well.

Cheers-- Terry--WB4FXD Edenton, NC

Reply to
Terry

Nowadays, with CMOS chips, the current thru the button switches is very low. So using something like a relay colsure is not necessary. You may be able to get by with photodiodes, phototransistors, or CdS photocells, activated by LEDs. The idea is to get the isolation of the relay contacts without all the noise and hundreds of mW needed to close the contacts.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I've removed and reinstalled this type of switch on another X10 controller, it was no trouble.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Optoiso;atyors might work, but there is one thing to consider. If the opto uses a diode and transistor or two transistors (darlington), the V drop across both could be a volt or more when fully saturated. That may not be a problem when the supply V of the control is 5V, but if it's only 3V, then the lowest you can pull the button down to is 1/3 of the supply V. Add to that the rest of the circuit and it might be closer to half the supply V. That could be really unreliable or not work at all.

That's why I suggested the CdS photocell (or an opto that uses same, but do they even make such a thing?). CdS photocells are slow, but then a button press doesn't have to be fast. And they're a resistance, not a diode, so they can pull the button down to nearly zero V drop.

One thought is that Hammamatsu (sp?) used to make a cylindrical component that was essentially a CdS photcell on one end and a submini lamp on the other. They were used in stereo receivers to control the volume remotely, but because they used lamps, they burned out after thousands of hours. Good for the repairman, but left the couch potato without his remote control. Nowadays they have probably replaced the lamp with a LEd so it should last much longer.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

=>I've removed and reinstalled this type of switch on another X10 controller, it was no trouble.

Thanks for the info. That's my course of last resort.

I have two of these little wonders, one in use as a controller for house ligts, and the other is planned for use in the station to handle functions transmitted from a remote location.

I'll post results when I get it working.

Always, repeat, always tune for minimum smoke!

Reply to
Terry

=>Nowadays, with CMOS chips, the current thru the button switches is very low....

Yes, and I have a drawer full of optoisolators that would fill the bill. I used the term "relay closure" to impart simplicity. (I also have a handful of reeds.)

Reply to
Terry

=>Optoiso;atyors might work, but there is one thing to consider....

That is worth looking into. I'll check Vcc before continuing.

I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks? To bring up items like this? :() )

Reply to
Terry

=>>=>Tried X10?^)

John--X10 blew me off, as we expected. However, after a tip from Watson A. Name I peeked under the dimple switch and now see how they do it. Too simple!

And that reminds me of a good "male" story. A friend was painting his porch lastweekend. When it came time to attack the ceiling, he couldn't find his roller. "Last time I used it, I think it was on an extension pole. I'll look again--this time for ling, thin things with a roller attached!"

Same with electronics!

Reply to
Terry

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Terry wrote (in ) about 'X10 Mini Timer Model MT10A Schematic?', on Wed, 13 Apr 2005:

Or even long, thin, thongs.

Reply to
John Woodgate

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.