what exactly a dim command for x10 lamp module?

HI all I have powerlinc v2 controller [USB] with LM465 lamp module connected to a powerline. I am making use of Smarthome device manager [SDM3.exe]. I have to change the dim level of lamp module.From its behaviour [of LM465] it goes first to full bright and then goes to DIM level. Using sendX10 and for x10 address let say=A2 what dim command should i use

1. sendX10=A2, DIM 30%
  2. sendX10=A2,DIM 30 or any other command Thanks
Reply to
arnie
Loading thread data ...

If the LM465 is Off, then any Dim command will first turn it fully On, then proceed to Dim it from that point. This is a firmware feature of the LM465 and cannot be changed. Was that your question?

If the LM465 is On but fully dimmed (to darkness), then it can be brightened with the appropriate Bright command. Or if partially dimmed it can be further dimmed or brightened from that point.

I don't know what algorithm your SDM3 uses to convert the programmed level (e.g., 30) to the (nominal) 210 brightness steps available in the LM465 - you may have to experiment.

BTW, alt.home.automation doesn't get a lot of traffic - you'll be better off posting to comp.home.automation.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Yes in order to dim one has to first make device to full on level. but subsequently if one want to dim the device can i specify the absolute value as i have mentioned earlier. I have also seen certain number of levels supported by the dimming devices what does that mean? Thanks Arnie

Reply to
arnie

I can't give you exact answers as it depends both on your PowerLinc hardware and on the software driver.

Some software will let you specify an "absolute" dim level. It will then first send sufficient Bright signals to bring the lamp module to full brightness, then Dim to the specified level. Other software will only have "relative" dimming, and it will be up to the user to first brighten the module to full brightness before dimming.

Most hardware controllers will support adjusting the dim level in

5% or 6% steps. (Some controllers support 1% or 3% steps.) From what I've seen of Smarthome devices, I suspect your PowerLinc will only support the 5% or 6% steps. (You may be able to program the software in 1% increments but the actual dim signals sent are rounded to the nearest 5% or 6% level.)
Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.