time delay switch

I'm looking for a delay switch for a bathroom fan and I haven't found any that have exactly what I want -

- adjustable time interval from a few minutes to, say, 1/2 hour. I'd rather not get one that just has a few choices for time interval. You can get one that gives you 5,10,15, 30 or on-until-switched-off choices, but I'd like to have it completely adjustable.

- time delay interval controllable on the outside of the faceplate

- doesn't make noise. Spring timers all click as I've heard, so not a spring timr.

What the delay switch does, is you can leave the fan on after you leave the bathroom, for an adjustable time.

The closest thing I've found is this:

formatting link
It has a delay of up to an hour. I don't know why anybody would want to keep the fan on in the bathroom for an entire hour after leaving, but I guess it's conceivable. So I'd live with that.

But it's designed so the time delay adjustment is hidden behind the faceplate, and changed with a screwdriver. I want to have the delay adjustment on top of the faceplate. So there would be a sort of screwdriver blade attached to a knob, anchored to the faceplate somehow.

Any ideas about how to do this, so it would work reliably?

Alternatively, I'm sure it's possible to get a circuit that will do the delay function. If the guts of it could be covered over so it looks nice

- I could buy a wood faceplate and cut circular holes in it for the knobs - that would also do. It would have to fit in a gang box, or whatever they call the metal box that switches are enclosed in.

Laura

Reply to
Lacustral
Loading thread data ...

Omron makes some nice stuff. Here's a pic of a timer I use in the shop. It's shown set for 0 to 3 seconds, selectable by the large dial. But the range can be set as 0 to 1.2, 0 to 3, 0 to 12, or 0 to 30. And the units can be seconds, minutes, hours, or 10 hours. So altogether, it's a timer that can be set up for 0 to 1.2 seconds, all the way up to 0 to 300 hours. All of that is front panel selectable. There are also several different logic modes, e.g., how it's triggered and what type of input causes it to latch, when the timer starts, etc.

formatting link

Reply to
Smitty Two

... perhaps a VERY big smell?

Reply to
Farticus

Bathroom fan should be continuous, like the fan on a CPU. NBD

Since the time man has done his business in the space where he lives, the stench will not leave w/o 24/7 exhaust.

Reply to
ctyguy

Perhaps one of these timers might suit your purpose. Might take a bit of mechanical work to install but shouldn't be too hard.

formatting link
?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12340
formatting link
?UID=2007090512144066&item=1-1614&catname= Cheers!!!! ==============

Dave M

Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time!!

Reply to
Dave M

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.