Sending commands between Linux and Windows

I run all my X10 hardware on my PC, and alot of other applications on my dedicated Linux server (Fedora Core 3).

What I want to be able to do is have scripts run commands on the other machine in response to events. For instance, if my Apache server goes down, the Linux server tells the PC to ring an X10 chime and turn on a light. Or if I get frontdoor motion, the PC tells the Linux server to log the event in a secured web directory.

The problem is that, as obvious as the issue seems to be, I can find no solutions. I'm thinking something like rsh would do the trick, but I can't find any decent and free rsh stuff for Windows/XP. I found some choppy source codes for a Windows port of rshd that I couldn't compile, but I couldn't find any ready solution.

Does anybody have good solutions for this? And does anybody have a good rsh client and server for a Windows XP machine?

Thanks Curtis

Reply to
Renoir
Loading thread data ...

I'd try via web CGI type interfaces---you don't have to install additional services, deal with firewalls, etc. On Linux, it's as simple as having a file in the cgi-bin directory that is executed by the server when the URL mentioning it is given to the server.

Reply to
przemek klosowski

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.