Security wiring question - how to get wires out of walls....

My home was pre-wired for a security system when it was built 4 years ago. Only 4 of the 5 external doors and none of the windows had the wire stubbed out where you could get to it. The 4 doors had the upper jamb pre-drilled and a plug with the wire tied to it was inserted. Piece of cake to pull the plug out, put a contact on the wire and connect it to my panel. (HAI OMNI II)

I've got a wire finder that I've used to find buried wires in the yard for my exernal wiring so I havet a pretty good idea of where the wiring in the walls is, but short of a borescope and a long wire hook, how would security guys fish these things out in a situation like this??

I am capable of cutting/repairing/repainting the drywall, but I really don't want to get into that if possible.

The contractor who pre-wired the house said they'd be happy to come out and fish the wires out for me, but I'm a DIY'er and would prefer to spend my time doing it instead of writing a check.

Ideas/suggestions?

Thx!

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Loading thread data ...

I thoroughly agree. Locatiing the wires isn't as issue, getting them out of the wall without having to punch holes in the drywall is. Unfortunately, the buildier won't help and the contractor that did the work wants to charge me $65/hour to get them out.

Reply to

Part of a contractor's responsibility with a proper prewire is to ensure the wires are accessible once they are needed upon construction completion. They shouldn't charge you to locate something that should be readily accessible, IMHO.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Could be cheaper than repairing walls.

Reply to
Forumadmin

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Sounds like the wires aren't accessible. Ask the bozo who did the prewire if he would expect an electrician to leave his wires behind drywall after pre-wiring for electricity. He will have to answer "no", if he's honest. If it isn't accessible, it isn't prewired. Sounds like breach of contract to me...

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

A bucket of mud and my splatter gun say it won't. My time doesn't cost me a cent...

Reply to

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.