Recomendations wanted for outdoor video camera (make/model) and retailer

I'm looking for recommendations as to who makes a good quality CCTV/video camera for out-door use.

I'm putting these under the eves of my house (so no direct exposure to rain) but they will experience summer heat (up to 90f), winter cold (down to -20f), as well as lens condensation and fogging (I suppose).

Will hook them up using RG-6 coax (BNC or F connector).

I notice all sorts of different types of cameras, some with IR lights, large, small, etc. Would like something that's not particularly large, yet has high resolution (and color).

Sometimes what you end up buying depends on where you shop - and although I suppose I could buy from US mail-order, I would do so only if a Canadian retailer didn't have the camera I really wanted. So I'm also looking for a good place to buy from in Canada.

Thanks - and please post responses here (e-mail won't work).

Reply to
Video Guy
Loading thread data ...

With that temprature range, you will be looking at a heated external houseing, so you will be able to use just about any camera and lens that you want. Try looking at the dennard 506 houseing at

formatting link
Andy

Reply to
Andy Evans

Thanks for the replys.

Here are a few more points as to what I'm looking for:

- top mounting screw or base (ie ceiling mountable)

- Dome-style not required (or desired)

- PZT not needed (which is a whole other ball game)

- additional mounting complexity, compatability, and visibility of an outdoor housing chasis is not desired (would go to a bullet-cam style camera instead of a camera that needed an out-door housing).

- The Powertech camera (below) and KG-230EX are interesting but I wonder about the quality of the optics.

In general I prefer the "form factor" of the box-style camera (as in most of the cameras listed below) but I'm unsure if their housing is suitable for outdoor use (ie mounted, say, 6" under an eve with a 2 foot overhang). I don't think that the occasional -20f night (which we had quite a few of this past winter) is necessarily something these camera's can't handle. I think more of an issue is condensation or fogging on (or in?) the lens assembly

I've done a quick search and have put together a (more or less) random list of cameras that is representative of what I'm looking for. Any direct experience with these items is what I'm looking for, or anything similar (again for protected out-door use).

Panasonic WV-CP244 ($209)

formatting link
($162 at
formatting link
is the sort of camera I had in mind (probably the upper end of the price range I had in mind too).

PANASONIC: WV-CP484 SERIES ($376.00)

formatting link
PANASONIC: WV-CP254H ($299)
formatting link
SONY: SSC-E473 ULTRA HIGH RES DAY/NIGHT COLOR CAMERA ($257)
formatting link
SONY: SSC-DC374 HIGH RES COLOR CAMERA ($158)
formatting link
POWER TECH : PIR-4856 HIGH RES COLOR CAMERA W/INFRARED ($195)
formatting link
Panasonic WV-CP470 Fixed Day/Night Camera ($487)
formatting link
camera is probably a little more than I want to spend, but it's got some interesting features.

Sony SSC-DC374 High Resolution Color Camera ($205)

formatting link
here's an affordable camera - but like others in this style I see a cable running from the camera body to the lens. Is this some sort of motorized zoom or focus? And if so, I assume there will be low temerature concerns with the operation of the motorized function?

S>

formatting link
>

Nice, but I think I would go with the SPECO TECH CVC-870EX H.E.A.T. Color Bullet Camera.

Yea, but how do I simulate a rainy November or April day in Ontario?

Yes, I don't exactly want my house to look like most of the UK does with cameras everywhere.

Reply to
Video Guy

also check out

formatting link
for more ideas.

By the way, the CVC-637EX use to be a low light Day Night camera, but they have now changed it to just a normal high res color camera, even though it says Day Night still on the box, juist so you know, we ordered 20 of them and even Speco told us they changed it, but then why they didnt change the box and specs online ..? It is still a decent camera, but only for day time or areas where there is alot of light. i wouldnt take my chances on any of the EX models also. The CVC-7706DNV is a true day night camera though with a mech filter, it is their best model, check it out.

Also check out the WizKid Dome and Bullet camera models, they are literally unbreakable and not that expensive.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

A varifocal lens allows you change the focal length between set ranges IE

3.5-8mm or 5-50mm etc, it doesn't hold the focus when adjusting the focal length. A zoom lens when correctly set up will hold its focus throughout its entire range.

I don't know about the camera in question but a varifocal lens will have two adjustment rings, one to adjust the field of view or focal length and the other to adjust the focus, both will need to be adjusted at the same time, normally in opposite directions, in order to maintain focus at the desired focal length. If its a manual varifocal lens then there will be a third ring to adjust the iris, a bullet or board camera manual varifocal lens probably won't have an iris adjustment ring.

The varifocal bullet & board cameras that I have seen with varifocal lens have had these two rings.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

I see that some of these cameras (specifically some of the bullet or torpedo type) claim to be "varifocal".

A specific example is the CVC-7706DNV:

formatting link
Note the link "how to adjust the verifocal lens" :

formatting link
It's really a focus adjustment.

I believe a true varifocal lens is a lens that changes it's focus when the focal length is changed. Which means the lens must be some sort of zoom lens. So does the CVC-7706DNV (or any other "varifocal" camera) have some sort of external ring or control that allows you to change it's focal length (ie zoom in or out) ???

Reply to
Video Guy

We use the AXIS LAN cameras for indoor and outdoor use. We are in Albuquerque, NM, where our winters do not get too severe; however, our summers get guite warm. If you go to:

URL 206.206.97.135:5801

your will get a demo system we have on-line. The password is "acasdemo". Once you gain access go to on-line system click and hold down the left hand mouse button and move to "cameras". Wait awhile until mozilla pops up and select "Real Time Display". Cam one is an AXIS camera mounted under an eave, and you can judge for yourself if the quality is what you are looking for. This camera has been operational for five years with no apparent degradation. If you click on the image you will get a larger display of the camera output.

I should point out that all you would need to connect the camera would be a standard cat-5 twisted cable (LAN). Co-ax cables are not required. You will also need to get voltage to the camera. We use regular 18AWG wires for voltage. Note that you can also build your own DVR into the computer system which connects to the camera. Just go the the archives to get pictures of the past activities.

Good luck.

Celso Lujan, Lujan Software Services, Inc.

Reply to
Celso Lujan

you are using vnc to get on a computer then view the video ... thats ass backwards ..

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.