question about Elk M1 Gold alarm system

Hi,

Does anyone know whether the Elk M1 Gold system needs any additional modules to make it capable of receiving and sending wireless radio signals? Or Does the kit come with the wireless enabled? How much would a typical system (wireless enabled) with two wireless motion sensors cost?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
aerosmith
Loading thread data ...

Yes, there are separate, required RF modules. You can select from among the following RF Receiver modules:

- NX408E 8 Wireless Zones

- NX416E 16 Wireless Zones

- NX448E 48 Wireless Zones

The ELK-M1GSYS4S is a complete starter kit. Retail price is: $587.

formatting link
Included are:

- M1G Control Panel

- Transformer

- KP2 Keypad

- Backup Battery

- Siren/Voice Speaker

- RJ31X Jack & Cord

- 14" x 14" Enclosure

In addition, you will need an NX408E RF receiver. Cost is $52.50

formatting link
Commonly selected wireless motion detectors for the M1G system:

NX-480 Passive Infared Motion Detector $89.00

formatting link
NX-482 Sentrol Passive Infrared Motion Sensor ~$98.
formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me why I might require two of the motion sensors? Does one compliment the other or it is just for installing it in a second location?

NX-480 Passive Infared Motion Detector $89.00 NX-482 Sentrol Passive Infrared Motion Sensor ~$98.

Also does the RF module easily plug into the Elk M1 system? If I were to use a wired device like a door/window contact what kind of wire is recommended to connect the Elk system and the contact.

Thanks again for your time.

Robert L Bass wrote:

following RF Receiver modules:

formatting link

Reply to
aerosmith

Neither. Those are just two different options.

There's a little cable that connects them together. Most sensors (except for fire alarm stuff) are connected using ordinary 2- or

4-conductor, 22-guage wire (aka 22/2 and 22/4). If your wire runs are exceptionally long you might use 20 guage wire but most normal size homes are fine with 22.

Fire alarm sensors require use of cable rated for "power limited" fire alarm circuits. Most of the time 18/2 or 18/4 fire cable is good.

Note: Even on magnetic door and window sensors which only require 2 wires I usually use 4. That way if a single conductor breaks (say, froma staple gone awry), I've still got an extra pair.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

following RF Receiver modules:

Have you read the Group's FAQ lately???

Reply to
Frank Olson

Second location. It's a good idea (depending on the size of your house) to "split" the protection between the front and the back. You definitely want a motion covering any stairs to the basement or the second floor.

The RF module is wired to the Elk common control. It's usually recommended that you mount the unit as high in the home as you can (to ensure maximum coverage). I wouldn't mount the RF module inside the common control.

Standard 22/4 "Station Z" wire is fine. Some use two conductor, but that can be a pain (particularly if one wire "breaks").

There are a number of excellent online resources and dealers. Most have better pricing than Bass (and better service). Here's a good resource:

formatting link
You can also have a look at:

formatting link
I would check out customer feedback (some sites have links to that) or the BBB before you make a purchase decision.

Good luck!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Try

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.