Internet Microphone?

Many thanks for finding that. I can't even tell how expensive it is - and then it still needs the microphone and maybe also a pre-amp to drive the line-in. I think a Chinese plastic IP webcam must win out over Swiss precision engineering for this application!

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold
Loading thread data ...

I installed a number of Generac generators with a remote monitor based on alarm system technology. I bought the circuit boards from the small DSC security systems and mounted them inside of the transfer switch. The board would dial a burglar alarm monitoring station using standard alarm communication protocol whenever the generator exercised or whenever the fault light was activated. The monitoring company would call me if there was no communication at the specified time every week. It's old school tech but it works reliably and there is a record kept by the monitoring station. Oh yea, it also calls home if the battery gets low or if it loses AC power. This tech does need a POTS line in order to work.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not a microphone, but it may do what you want to do with more flexibility and capabilities.

A $35 WebControl can be set up to send you an email on any of a variety of triggers/sensors. and you can browse to the web interface to see the status of whatever you might want to monitor (voltage, temperature, on-off, etc).

formatting link
I plan to replace the mechanical exercise timer control itself on our 12.5KW Onan standby genset with a WebcControl.

A regulated 5VDC wartwart plugged into the generator output could be used to provide the 5vdc trigger ( no soldering required) when the generator begins to provide power, and a second email when it turns off. This way you would also know if it went on at an unscheduled time.

Measuring the voltage output of _un_regulated vdc power supply plugged into the generator output (no soldering required) would allow you be sent alerts if the output voltage was too high or too low.

See (eg)

formatting link
and
formatting link
more discussion.

Interface is either with browser or command-line. So you could also just browse to the interface to see status.

Input Digital Inputs 8 Analog Inputs 3 Maximum Digital Input Level TTL 5V Maximum Analog Input Level 3V Minimum Input Level 0V Output Number of Output 8 Output Level TTL 5V Output Current MAX 30 mA Programmable Timer Number of programmable timer events 20 Sensors DS1822 Temperature Sensor 8 Honeywell Humidity Sensor 1 Power Consumption Without Load 5MA With Full Load 240MA Power Supply DC (recommend) 6V to 7.5V AC (when DC not available) 12V

$35.00 + shipping -- A steal IMO.

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
Barebones iPhone app:
formatting link

Available/find suppliers through Amazon.com and eBay

****** Warning: the 1-wire temperature sensor interface is a work in progress. Don't count on it. The rest of the unit appears solid in my experience and that of many others. One can make accurate and dependable temperature sensors that use the analog inputs (soldering required) to avoid the erratic 1-wire temperature sensor interface. ******

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
whitehexagon

Thanks for that, it be useful for some other applications, such as sensing the garage door or street gates

formatting link
I believe listening to the sound is the best way to monitor the weekly exercise of my standby generator.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony R. Gold

For audio based you could always attach a 'loudness' sensor to one of the analogue input channels. Something operating between 0v-5v vs decibels. Although that's probably gonna cost more than a simple temperature sensor. Otherwise if the generator has any kind of on/off lamp, you could use the light sensor. Then you'd still have the advantage of weekly logging of data in case you miss listening in for that critical

10min window. Alternatively have you considered an auto answering skype device?
Reply to
whitehexagon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.